Sunday, January 3, 2010

To 2010, A Year of Staying Optimistic

I will be honest, 2009 sucked. And it wasn't just me. An Associated Press poll found three fourths of Americans thought 2009 was lousy too.

I am very aware that things in my life could have been far worse this past year, but, still, it seemed like the worst year of my life. Yes, there were great times, but overall my emotions swung between very dramatic in terms of "What am I going to do with my future?" and very stagnant in terms of "I'm totally stuck in the same situation I wasn't happy with last year." While I was hosting my thematic QLC pity parties, it was hard to step outside my shallow bubble and realize it was clearly not just me having problems. This poll proves it.

But it's the start of a new year. Hell, it's even a new decade.

While it will take me approximately six to eight weeks to automatically write 2010 instead of 2009, and we'll all be forced to determine what exactly to call this year (I'd honestly be fine with saying "oh ten"), but it's a fresh start. New beginnings.

Yes, I will have to fight my way for two square inches of room at the gym for the next few months now that it'll be packed with Resolutioners, but whatever. I'm starting with a new outlook on life, a new perspective on optimism. Life will only turn around if you make it.

Six months ago I was more depressed than I ever have been. At the time, it was hard to recognize that it wasn't just a string of bad luck. I was working against myself, and clearly the global economic conditions were not in my favor. While I still don't have everything figured out (and neither does the world), I'm trying to be patient, which sucks considering patience has never been my best virtue.

I'm not alone in having high hopes for this year. The AP poll also found the same number of people who thought 2009 sucked were optimistic about 2010.

So maybe if we collectively put positive thoughts out in the universe, 2010 will be a great year.

We deserve it.

Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment