Wednesday, January 27, 2010

One Step Closer to Being Real People

On Monday, The BFF and I celebrated the first week in our new apartment with home-made Eggplant Parm (the best we've ever made!). And wine. And old episodes of SATC because our cable has yet to be hooked up.

It felt like how you're supposed to feel relaxing in your own home: good/comforting/welcoming, as opposed to: full of rage/angst/hate/unbearable annoyance at yet another "jam" session featuring the accoustic version of Umbrella. If you couldn't guess, that was the rotation of feelings that plagued us previously. For those of you who know me personally and were forced to endure listening to me whine far too much about that drama: I apologize; I'm too cheap for real therapy.

In my head, I have the entire saga ready for blogging, but I'm still weighing the Karma of airing the dirty laundry in the universe (at least quite yet). Also it would be nice to get my security deposit back from the new tenants, who have chosen to move in with my former prison wardens. I mean roommates.

The BFF and I are also trying to turn over a new leaf and be less hateful bitches, but honestly, how long can this last? At least for me, probably not that long, so eventually you might get a taste of the Psycho Diaries. While I accidentally lost my favorite picture of my roommate's labeled maple syrup jug that said "Do not use! For special Diet!" (I apparently lived with a less cheery Buddy The Elf), I do still have her 100,000 word rants, wherein the phrase "You are not my mother!" and "You are F*cking children" are used inter-changeable throughout. For no reason. If you enjoy reading novels written by mentally-unstable "actresses," then this will definitely be a page turner. Yes, IAAB.

Wow, that whole not being a bitch thing has really lasted awhile, right?

Anyway, since some of you care (and more importantly because I'm proud of the transformation we've done!), here are a few pictures of our new set-up. The apartment is kind of funky and a little bohemian, but The BFF and I are nothing if not a little funky and bohemian too. Sort of. But, for instance, my room is a living room slash bedroom, our toilet is separate from the rest of the bathroom, and our shower involves stepping up into the tiniest compartment ever. Think cruise ship shower. But still, we love it. And, bonus!, some of our best friends live directly across the street. And can see into our windows...

So enough chit chat, here's a visual of our hardwork:
Here's the before. Please note TERRIBLE brown color.



Then we got inspired: Painting! And being a frugal genius, I took advantage of the 99 Cent Store offerings available from our Dollar Store District neighborhood and bought super cheap wrapping paper to cover our floors.



My favorite color is blue, and once upon a time my room growing up was turquoise, like the color of a Tiffany's box. I feel like this color selection (Caspian Blue) is a little more "mature." You can't really see it, but the trim is now a slate gray.



And I have a real bed!



The BFF painted her room yellow (with a greenish tint to it), and it's glorious (will update with a pic if she's not too creeped out).

And then for our kitchen! We have new cabinets, but ghetto appliances. What makes that look better?

Hot pink. Obviously.



So there you have it, our new home. Joy. Heaven. Bliss. At least while it's clean and organized.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE it! And LOVE that you are so close to me...and my wine store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so good! Can I come over pre-housewarming on Saturday??? (Or any other time this weekend that works for you really - since we're NEIGHBORS!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that I'm close to that wine store too! That Malbec was delish, thanks for bringing it :) I will repay you with jello shots, cause we keep it classy...

    And, Meg, YES you can whenever :) lemme know when you want to!!

    ReplyDelete