Monday, August 30, 2010

OMKKG We're Old

While perusing FB last week, I was notified that it was that special time of year again - new pledge classes of adorable little freshman babies have entered into the sorority world. Gah I feel 100.

Seeing the last remaining member of our family dynasty - my younger cousin Kristen's pictures (Hi!) - made me nostalgic. It seems like yesterday that was me. Maybe that's what fossils think when looking at dinosaurs? (For the sake of the analogy, please disregard the fact that fossils don't have eyes. Or that dinosaurs are extinct. Thanks.)

While rush at the University of Texas is interesting (read: stressful, panic-inducing, annoying, sweaty, political), it was an experience I'll never forget. One of a kind.

Then along came the parties, the meetings, the committees, all of the t-shirts you just have to have. It goes by so fast.
awww memories

The less great stuff - drama, the pettiness, the unnecessary bullshit - it fades.

Before "recruitment" - I guess since I was on panhellenic exec committee I should probably use the politically correct term - I wasn't even sure being in a sorority was something I was interested in. Not to make you gag with sentimentality, but every day I'm grateful I did. I made life-long friends who I can't imagine my life without.

Part of the legacy
And to just really layer on the emotion, one of my favorite things about my sorority experience is being part of a three-generation legacy. Sisters in the bond. Or something. Hopefully it continues.

But that's not necessarily what runs through your mind when you're in the middle of it. While you're there, you soak it in. That's your job. I miss that job.

Now I'm craving a luke warm Keystone. Better go dig out a monogrammed coozie to go with it. Ah college.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for including the most quintessential TOPS photo of all time! I call it: "Girls Wear Rainbow MuMus and Croakies to Chili Cookoff"

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, you know I love this post, especially the bottom picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my soul just wrote this post....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can get inspiration from being old :)

    ReplyDelete