Thursday, August 12, 2010

The BFF Abroad

Since I met The BFF in sixth grade, we have typically been separated for extended periods during the summer months while she travels to Lebanon to see her grandma. Since we’re sort of real adults now, she hasn’t been able to take her full-length vacay lately, but she is there for a week now. And I’ve come home to an empty house. So lonely. Wahh co-dependency.

Thank goodness they invented The Internet so we could stay in touch. Or so I could make sure she was still alive as was the case a few years ago when there was a little incident where Israel and Lebanon were Trying to Blow Each Other Up. I watched CNN worried that my friend was okay. At first via AIM she was all "No, it’s cool, we’re fine." Followed soon after with "Oh crap they’re evacuating us." Evacuation, as it turns out, was just as bad as it sounded. The BFF was not a happy camper.

Anyway, in honor of her absence, I’ve scoured my old Hotmail inbox to find some hi-larious emails from a time long ago when we – shockingly – might have been even more awkward than we are now.

Here are a few gems from The BFF circa 2000 (summer after 7th grade):

"are we still on for the double b-day? cause like if we are....we'd get trillions of presents and let's say u didn't get one that u liked we could trade presents!...and think of how jealous erica would get!....hehehehe" [Erica was my old best bud. Clearly The BFF won out in the end. Also clearly The BFF has her priorities. Her bday is next week, I better get a trillion presents to her liking.]

"AM I GAWKY??????????AND DO I REALLY SHUN PEOPLE?" [The answer was yes and yes. Although The BFF lost her gawkiness around '08ish, she is still a shunner.]

"boys are interesting...............very interesting..........so interesting i find them very stupid.......very stupid...........well i'll have to tell you later what happened last night.....for yes it was interesting........." [I think we had this conversation last week. Although I'm sure in this instance whatever was so interesting was prob just a boy acknowledging she was alive or something.]

Now for my favorite thing I found. The backstory is that she was supposed to go on her first 'date' with a guy but then missed it because she was stuck at her uncle's birthday party. Oh the humanity.

"boyssssss i hate them every single one.....they all suck......y did i have to be late from my uncles????????????????? i am so mad i am crying..........well...was crying......i even wrote in my journal about the pain cause like the 'experts' say to write about it but that didn't help crap [At this point I actually LOL'd.] ......just made me sadder............o well......he was so hot and he had green eyes! and he was such a jack ass........ahhhh......but he was rich.......his cousins has a freaking rolls royce and their dads work together so think of all the dinero he must have!!!!!! can't wait to give the gory detailsss i missss yoU!!!! i hate it here w/ all my heart i hate it....but maybe things will perk up tomorrow... my uncle (who has now ruined my life) adn the brats and every1 is coming to spend the day tomorrow and i plan on going to the beach or something JUST AS LONG AS I DON'T SEE THEM EVER AGAIN........do u realize how much my life sux right now?????aHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! [What a drama queen!!] so what's this i hear about ur mommy setting up her baby girl??????? LOL...i missed a movie but i at least my mommy didn't fix it up! [10 years later and my mom is still fixing me up. FMLOL.]

ur very grown up friend
The BFF

ps..don't tell ne1 [Please tell me no one uses this abbreve anymore. And I'm going to assume the statute of not telling "ne1" has since warn off.]

How much have we changed in the past decade? Milestones and millimeters.

I'm glad we're still friends.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I think I've grown up a bit since then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I think the guy probably never even called! it was all a cruel joke!!!!

    im seeing his cousin tomorrow.....ill find out what REALLY happened

    ReplyDelete