Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Night of Diverse Events

Remember that time I always lied on this blog? Specifically when I said I wouldn't have anymore birthday-related posts? Well gear up for one more.

As part of my gift to The BFF, I got us tickets to a comedy show featuring SNL and Comedy Central writers at Comix, a comedy club in MPD.

It was a funny show. Out of the six comedians who performed, only one was a woman, Jessi Klein, who had a bit of a Tina Fey thing going on aka I want to be her friend. Her routine included a joke about how she was now officially reaching spinster status, but instead of being offended by the moniker, she thinks women should take a lesson from black people and change it to a version that's no longer derogatory. Spinsta. Haaaa.

Another comedian performed part of his set in the downstairs area that we stumbled on during a pre-show bathroom trip. Then later during his actual set, we realized he was using some of the same material. We were both very uncomfortable. Do we have to laugh again? Then it dawned on me, "Oh crap, this is how my friends feel talking to me in person. 'Yeah, I read the blog, thanks for telling me the story again.'"

Awkward. Sorry.

Anyway, due to Comix's proximity to 'da clubs, afterward we headed to Avenue. Celebs go there. At one point Lindsay Lohan was banned from it. It's also referenced on some TV show apparently. You should be impressed.

And even though we aren't 18 and 85 lbs like all the wannabe dELiA's models who were there, we made it inside with minimal annoyance.

Yes, we are ballers.

We talked with a few different guys, including a 40-something Indian man who told me he would pay for me to live in Miami with him for the winter. Had he made this proposition in February, I might have agreed. Wow I am not looking forward to the cold weather. Wow he was creepy.

After suffering through a round of drinks and his attempts to buy my affection, The BFF came to my rescue. She even put on an award worthy "I have to go home, I feel sick" performance. What a friend.

Except when I really needed her later, she let me down.

On our way home she agreed to stop at Kennedy's with me. I know. I have a problem. Someone host the damn intervention already. It's getting out of hand.

While we were in there, we were greeted by an entire flock of neighborhood children. Do you have a fan club of 17 year olds? Because now we do. We even have some Silly Bandz bracelets to prove it.

What a night. From the classiest club to the shadiest late night eating joint. We're really making the most of the New York diversity, aren't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment