Tuesday, August 10, 2010

LA Woman

I’m back from La La Land. I hadn’t been since spring ’07 when I visited a high school friend living out there, subsequently deciding the entire city was vapid and I was above all that. Ahh what a few years in Manhattan can do to change your mind!

When you live in New York, going to California is like seeing the world in Technicolor. Not to sound dramatic or anything, but it was mildly life changing.

There.is.so.much.space. Yes Texas has that too, but LA has the beach. It has a skyline of palm trees. It has that laid back SoCal spirit. Deep down inside I’ve always been drawn to it all. Especially the beach part.

As part of my goal for the trip, we went almost every day. There is nothing more relaxing to me than looking out on the ocean with a book in my hand. Apparently I have the same priorities as a sixty-five year old woman. I am fine with that.

While I was there, I learned that, in terms of not being real life, the differences between LA and New York are as negligible as Disney Land and Disney World. Different states, same make believe.

I also figured out that living the dream in LA is very different than living it in NYC (or anywhere else for that matter). It seems so chill, man. People are flakey, but they're friendly too. Easy Breezy. Loves it.

Regarding Jim, the underlying purpose of the vacation, I’d say it was a little of column A, a little of column B. I had a great time with him, and he served well in his role as the Boyfriend Experience, but I’m not leaving like a sad little lovesick puppy dog. I think you have to have a heart made of something besides ice for that to be the case.

In terms of his host abilities, he was top notch. Having had a string of visitors all summer, he was great about organizing activities including:
  • A beach picnic by the Santa Monica pier for their Thursday concert series.
  • A stop by Vera Wang to look at wedding dresses. (I know, what guy ever would let me do this?! His friend works there, and she gets to help celebs! Talk about living the dream?)
  • A hike at Runyon Canyon. (If you read any celeb gossip magazines then you know famous people always take their dogs there. We didn’t see anyone sadly. Yes this trip sounds a little celeb stalkery; yes I know they have invented the internet for that reason.)
  • A bbq pool party at his friend's place "in the Valley." (For some reason anytime anyone mentions the Valley I always think of Clueless. Brittany Murphy -                       R(ollin'withthehomies)IP.)
Unfortunately I'm still sans camera so there is not one picture of me from any of these activities. {Facebook friends let out a sigh of relief for not being forced to stalk any pictures.}

Another high point of the trip was hanging out with Jim's guy friends (a novelty since J and I broke up). Considering Jim is one of the funniest funnier people I know, they were definitely entertaining too.

After being around him with his friends coupled with spending some extended QT together, I discovered that Jim’s basically the exact combination of my previous three boyfriends. Weird. But it gave me sense of familiarity that usually takes awhile to develop.

The BFF and I have discussed the importance of having the ability to be quiet with another person, to not feel like you’re forced to talk to or entertain one another constantly. I think Jim and I both did a good job with this. Hopefully he feels the same way. Also, me bringing along The Girl Who Played With Fire definitely helped. (Yes the series is good and yes you should read it.)

To be honest, I’m not really sure how I feel about him coming away from the trip. And same goes for me not knowing about how he feels. My practicality ruins any fantasy that something will happen between us. And, even if distance weren't an issue, I'm not sure whether anything would/should come from it. Maybe it is what it is. But at the same time, who knows what the future holds? Life is a long time.

And I’ve met worse guys.

P dot S: Something else I realized while I was there: LA is basically a cooler version of Houston. For some reason on this trip, while driving around LA, I started noting its similarities with H town. You know, minus that whole Pacific Ocean thang. But just the sheer size of both cities, each made up of different neighborhoods and areas, everyone in their cars wanting to die in miserable traffic. Houston is the LA of the South.

I can imagine no one - on either side of that comparison - will be too happy with that opinion.

1 comment:

  1. In my humble opinion, Dallas is the LA of the south. -miss miller

    ReplyDelete