Tuesday, August 17, 2010

War, What Is It Good For?

We’re going to take a quick PSA break from my dating failures and talk about something mildly serious for a minute.

Does that make you nervous? Are your palms sweaty? Wow, calm down. No, I’m not going to lecture you about that beer I found in your car or how you broke curfew. Gawsh, stop crying.

When the war in Iraq started, I vividly remember watching TV footage of bombings while in my Chemistry II AP class (cough cough nerd). Now, approximately one million years and two life stages later, it’s still going on. [Insert depressing Mission Accomplished joke here.]

Before my trip to Hawaii in ‘09, I didn’t have any connections to active duty military. Then after staying with two officers who had literally just returned from Iraq, I found myself immersed in Army life for a week. The guys were the kind of people you immediately liked and respected.

I came away with a much better understanding and greater appreciation for those who risk their lives for our country – and so much empathy for their families who support them. We got to know one family in particular - genuinely some of the nicest people ever - and watching the wife's Facebook status about her husband's deployment makes my heart sink. That life is hard. But she survives - with three kids no less! All while I'm busy ranting about over-priced iced coffee.

One of the guys we stayed with recently sent me happy birthday message. He relayed a little information about his deployment, including levels of heat this Texan can’t even comprehend. I mean, I throw a hissy fit every morning if I’m stuck on the subway platform for more than 30 seconds. MY MAKEUP IS MELTING! First-world problems. I don’t know how they survive.

In addition to him, I also have another friend currently deployed as well. Different war, same issues. Both are hot, dry, and dangerous.

Political views aside, we can’t stop supporting those that risk their lives in military service. I couldn’t do it, and most of the people I know probably couldn’t handle it either.

Even if they don't remain at the forefront of your everyday thoughts (hopefully they're not updating their FourSquares..."Officer So and So just checked into a cave in Afghanistan") keep in mind they’ve been to hell and back for our country. We should be grateful.

And hopefully they’ll be back safe sooner rather than later.

Update: Apparently it's Military Appreciation Week. I didn't even know it! How timely.

No comments:

Post a Comment