Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blame it on the Rain (The BFF's Fav Story)

The weather is currently an awesome mixture of rain and snow; no doubt it's going to be a slushy commute home. While the actual precipitation is annoying, there's nothing worse than the unavoidable "curb moats" and puddles that form everywhere in the city. Even if you're smart enough to be sporting the proper, water-repelling footwear, it can still be hard to avoid getting splashed.

In honor of the shitty weather, and in an effort to make The BFF smile while she's busy/stressed with work this week, I will share with you my ultimate Bridget Jones' moment:

The summer after moving here - finally acclimated and feeling confident in my ability to own this city - I went to the gym on a rainy Saturday. On my way back to the subway station after working out, I eagerly edged my way to the corner of the street while waiting for the light to tell me I could cross. Way too eager. And definitely not taking into proper account the giant puddle that was directly in front of me. It's like I'd unknowingly taken a seat in the Splash Zone at Sea World (what, too soon?). Not that the driver maliciously drove through that puddle or anything, but I stood there as an easy target. Novice.

BAM. Before I knew what was happening, a wall of water had hit me, and I was instantly (even more) soaked than before  - and even more miserable. Thank God I was only in gym clothes and not on my way to work, seeing as how my body was covered in dirrrty city water. So gross.

I waited - since the light had still not changed yet - and briefly locked eyes with a woman on the opposite side of the street who had witnessed the entire embarassing incident. She shook her head in acknowledgement of my predicament, almost as if I could hear her saying, "Dude, that sucks."

And in that next split second while I stood there still in shock, another car ran through THE SAME PUDDLE.

BAM. Instant replay. Entirely soaked again. It was like a bad RomCom, only without the promise of ending up with Colin Firth.


This would only happen to me. Or Bridget Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment