Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Relationship Mindcontrol Syndrome

Do you remember in Aladdin when devious Jafar hypnotizes the Sultan with his staph? Oh, you don't? Do you not just sit around randomly thinking about dating comparisons to Disney movies? I don't know what my deal with Disney is lately...

Anyway - as so everyone is on the same page - Jafar uses his evil powers to brainwash the Sultan into doing whatever he wants. Then things get scary! Like giant snake (my most hated/feared animal) scary!


After talking about Social Blinders Syndrome, aka the syndrome that ruined Sammi Sweetheart & Ronnie's star power slash cool factor on Jersey Shore, I wanted to talk about something even worse: Relationship Mindcontrol.

Now, there are some girls out there who just have the desire (and power) to whip a guy into boyfriend submission, wherein he basically packs away his package and gives her utter control of his social life. She dictates who he talks to, she'll check or answer his phone, and she'll coordinate his schedule to her liking - basically Kim Jung Il'ing his life so he is no longer a member of the Free World.

I have never been this girl. While I do enjoy wearing (or thinking I wear) the relationship pants as well as not minding others thinking that I'm the center of the universe, I also have a short attention span and would get sick of perma-control very fast. Anyone I date has to know when to occasionally lay down the law, otherwise I will walk all over him. And then I will walk out the door because, wow, that was boring.

I also learned the hard way that going through a boyfriend's phone (even for good reason) NEVER brings you peace of mind. Even if it's innocent (e.g. he's in the shower and his phone rings, it's not yours to answer/mess with/etc ...obviously if he gives you permission, whatever, but I wouldn't recommend making it a habit). Even though at the time, in high school, I had good reason to (e.g. my "friend" slash yearbook rival slash almost college roommate was trying to steal my bf away from me!), it turned me major crazy. And crazy is not a flattering shade on me! Shocking.

Okay, back to my main point: the inspiration for this post came from a FoF's story about losing his guy friend to his new GF. He no longer has contact with his friend as the new GF is the one who answers his calls, replies to his texts, cancels his plans  (e.g. Dave is "sick tonight"...I am taking care of him so we can't come), etc. Seriously, just hearing about it made me naush.

This is the kind of story that just screams OOC CGS. This CGS is not only unacceptible, it is frightening! It's a dangerous situation because - as a friend - you want to stage an intervention, but you know that all parties involved are so in love that there's a chance you will only make things worse for your friendship. Tread lightly. You can hope that eventually he will open his eyes to the idea of a better life, one where he can make AND keep plans for a boys' night, but in the mean time, it's not your decision to make.

But the point of this all is, girls, I know we like to have control. But do NOT use your powers for evil! Disney villians never prosper! And, guys, don't allow yourself to be that guy. Because no one wants to date the Sultan.

And we all lived happily ever after. With our pet tigers.

2 comments:

  1. This certain individual has made many a blog examples...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- I forgot I had an art blog that this one was unfortunately, smart enough to find...

    ReplyDelete