Monday, February 15, 2010

Bitter Betty Had a Good VDay

As I've already ranted, I typically associate Valentine's Day with: A) unmet expectations and/or total disappointment, B) break-ups (two in high school within days of Feb. 14th), C) jealousy.

Exactly what you're supposed to think of, right!?

Anyway, due to this memory montage swirling around my mind, I didn't let myself get too caught up in my favorite thing ever, planning. I knew if I did I would end up getting upset if things didn't work out perfectly. A pre-Vday fight (or, more like an airing of grievances) with J made me even less excited.

Luckily, though, we worked things out, and we spent the weekend happy and sappy.

The BFF was out of town for the weekend, so I cooked J dinner for the first time at my new apartment. I made chicken breasts stuffed with almonds and goat cheese, sautéed mushrooms and asparagus with mustard cream sauce.

A week or two ago I was watching the Food Network (my go-to channel) at J's, and Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade was on. If you're not familiar with Sandra, here's what you should know about her:

1) She loves to booze on camera.
2) She's dating New York's Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, who is potentially running for NY Governor. Random.
3) She's always creating themed "tablescapes" for each festive meal. Every meal.

So J commented on the decorative table settings, which green-lighted my excitement to create something festive he might appreciate.

One of the many awesome things about living above a multitude of Dollar Stores includes the bountiful assortment of holiday-themed cheap decorations, like heart champagne glasses and sparkly stickers.

The night turned out fun, and on actual Valentine's Day we went to brunch at Momofuku Ssam Bar.

So basically the combination of eating, eating, more eating and low-key quality time together created the perfect weekend.

Hope everyone else had fun too. And, for your sake, didn't gain 10 pounds like moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment