Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It's Not Just the Ladies: PMenS

Ever been accused of acting irrational, moody, overly dramatic or sensitive because of "hormones"? Yeah, me neither.

Ha haaaa just kidding. I will totally own up to the fact that when I'm PMSing, I (can) act like a total crazy person. Or, like, show actual emotions. If I tear up over something (e.g. a commercial featuring babies), a little check of the calendar will most likely conclude that, yes, it is in fact that time of the month.

I'm sorry, I know no one wants to talk about this. But I have an actual point.

After many a discussions with friends, I'd like to share a little-talked-about phenomenon: PMenS. I think it's time we found a term to describe when guys suffer from weird bouts of unexplained irritability and extreme mood changes.


While it's obviously under different circumstances, I promise, it's not just the ladies who act up occasionally.  Like a random episode when a guy - seemingly for no real reason - just flips a switch and takes a total 180 from his usual course of action. I'm not saying he becomes a girl, he just acts with the certain irrationality that - when I act that way - I have an "excuse" to blame it on. 

For example, out of nowhere, he suddenly becomes temperamental and hard to please. Nothing you do helps the situation; you can't seem to get on his good side. You eventually realize that maybe it's not something you did, perhaps it's just the way the Universe is aligning, etc. But soon enough, he gets out of the mood, and things go back to normal. There's nothing to psychoanalyze about the situation, any potential relationship crisis was averted because it didn't happen in the first place (just like last weekend's NYC snowpocalpyse).

So the point is: If your BF is acting weird and there seems to be no reason for it, most likely it's just a mild case of PMenS. Cut him some slack; remember, you always appreciate when he does the same for you.

[Editor's note: I know this post will prob annoy a certain someone. But listen, Carly Simon Warren Betty, it's not you - it's every guy. This syndrome is applicably generic and widespread as assuming all straight guys like the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition. PS Brooklyn Decker is hawt.]

No comments:

Post a Comment