Monday, April 25, 2011

Smitten Kitchen

Smitten Kitchen is the name of a great recipe blog. It also aptly describes my weekend.

After traveling for almost two weeks, TK finally returned to the East Village (did I mention he lives ten blocks away? sweet glorious convenience). While he was gone, I made a joke about him picking up souvenirs from his travels (actually I really wanted to say, "Bring me back something French" but I didn't know if he'd get the H.A. reference).

He arrived with gifts of Parisian chocolates in hand (which I just discovered have a second layer in the box, score!). Oh, and French goat cheese and brie. Those are two of my top favorite cheeses! (Yes, I am the kind of person who has a Top Five Cheeses, judge as you wish.) He shared, I swooned. Even if you know nothing about me, you will soon realize that food is the way to my heart. Major points.

We made the most of a rainy Saturday and saw a movie (Limitless, I liked it about as much as I thought I would...) followed by a great Mexican brunch at Hecho en Dumbo (mole duck enchiladas, I liked them better than Bradley Cooper's range of acting...).

We parted ways that afternoon, but not before I awkwardly overheard a voicemail left for him by another girl..."heeeeey welcome back in town!...but what if she was just a friend?...well then it's unfortunate he chose that moment to lower the volume so I couldn't hear the end of it... Anyway, whatever.

On sunny Sunday I went to a delicious Easter brunch with some Texas girls (and one very tolerant Australian boy). I didn't have any expectations to see TK again and figured I'd spend the evening writing a blog post about that damn awkward voice mail incident. Of course he's probably seeing other girls. C'mon, Rach, you know how dating works in this city. Just because you are too lazy to juggle doesn't mean he is. 

But that evening he called to ask me to dinner. As much as I like plans, the impromptu date night can be fun too. Since I'd just bought a fridge full of groceries, I decided to make good on my offer to cook him dinner and invited him over. (Plus it was raining and going out sounded like a terrible idea.)

In less than an hour I threw together chicken breasts with goat cheese and shallots, cauliflower white cheddar puree, and mushroom Israeli couscous. He said it was great. I was happy. We were both content and full.

I think we can agree that there was some generous casting
with the exception of Harry.
The best part of the night was him acquiesing to watch the Best Lifetime Movie Ever: William & Kate. (That's what happens when you unknowingly ask a girl to explain to you her new favorite topic, e.g. why do people care about the Royal Wedding. Duh, it's a great love story, here let me tell you all the details, as interpreted by Lifetime. Unfortunately he had a last minute work call and had to leave early. What can I say, he's an adult...who asked me to save the rest of the movie for him.

Three days in a row. Two nights in the kitchen. One Royal Wedding-related date night. In my world, that's something, sort of, I think.

(Of course I realize that blogging about it is a surefire way to jinx any potential, but I honestly don't have much else to write about so I'm sacrificing my happiness for your entertainment. I hope you will feel an adequate amount of guilt if this goes south.)

1 comment:

  1. I would have totally overthought the voicemail situation too - I'm sure she truly was just a friend, but it's easy to get carried away imagining more!

    For some reason, I always thought you lived on the Upper East Side - I'm loving that you call EVil home! It's practically our adopted home - thanks to the M15, we spend most of our time there instead of the Financial District.

    ReplyDelete