Saturday, April 2, 2011

Outside of My Comfort Zone

It's so easy to let yourself fall into a rut, and we're too young for that. Actually you're always too young for that. So I do my best to push myself further than I'm comfortable.

Lately the best example of this has been in yoga. Trusting other people in my class to support me while I lowered from standing up into a full wheel (back bend) took a lot last week. But once I did it, I felt good about myself. Same goes with split stretches or headstands. Practice and confidence gets you far.

But in dating, though, I don't really put myself out there with too much effort. I know I should, I just don't. So when I got a random email about an organized singles event, I figured why the hell not. It was a friend of a friend happy hour where every girl brought a guy friend. If nothing else, something to blog about.

Since I'd literally just joked with one of my few eligible bachelor friends about set-ups, I gauged his reaction to attending. He didn't hate the idea so I bought the tickets that minute because if I didn't then I knew I never would.

If I didn't then, then I'd be $30 richer than I am now, damnit. To say the event was proof of why it's better to make no effort at all would be an understatement.

I could lie and tell you I tried to make the best of it, but the truth is I talked to one guy (and two cool girls, but I guess that doesn't count?). Why was it so terrible?

Pickings were slim non-existent. First, as always, standard IAAB disclaimer. Of the two hundred people at the event, 99% were the least dateable people in the greater New York area. Second I like men who are taller than me. I was wearing flats, it wasn't that hard. Third, many were old. It was like it was set in the Great Hottie Depression or something. The friend I brought was by far the most attractive guy there. (Yes, ladies, he's still single, let me know if you're interested.)

Moral of the story: Take a yoga class instead of going to a singles event. You'll accomplish a hell of a lot more. And who knows, you probably have a better chance of meeting someone there.

[Note: I do not actually condone meeting someone in yoga. Unless you just really want to know how a guy looks when he's sweaty and breathing hard, you perv.]


 Apparently http://www.datingyoga.com/ is real.
Really outside of my comfort zone, that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment