Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Guide to New York: When to Visit

So I've decided that in addition to all the dating insight I've amassed, I also have quite a lot of opinions on other topics. Oh joy, you must be thinking!

Since many people who read the blog don't live here, but duh who doesn't want to visit, I figured some trip tips might be a good place to start. And having been a tourist before becoming a resident, I know how overwhelming coming to New York can be. Especially when you're trying to fit in.

Bringing me to:

Rule #1: Don't wear tennis shoes/fanny packs. Done. There you go. Instant success. (I will overlook the tennis shoes if you're over 40, mom.)

Since we're *hopefully* embarking on some of the best few months of the year, let's start with the trip tip for:

When to visit?

Um, I don't know if you know this, but there's a thing called winter where it stays cold for months at a time and it is terrible. Yes, the city is a beautiful, magical wonderland during the holidays and everything is wrapped up in a sparkly package, but with the exception of December, I'd stick to the warm months.

I guess I'm biased (thank you Austin for ruining winter for me), but spring and summer - before it becomes unbearably hot - are perfection. One day the city wakes up, everyone throws their jackets and tights in the trash (okay maybe not), but all of a sudden the energy changes. I swear there is a proven direct correlation between warm weather and friendliness in the city. Everything is just lovely. Plus the freshly planted tulips and daffodils don't hurt.

So what should you do if you're coming soon? If I'm being honest, one of my favorite warm weather activities is day drinking. Park yourself and some friends at a cute little outdoor cafe (or the Standard Beer Garden or the Frying Pan if you're in the mood for something a little rowdier) and spend the afternoon people watching and drinking Bloody Marys.

Or if that's not your thing, just walking around sans jacket soaking up the little pockets of sunshine can be great too. Plus it's free...that is until you stumble on a great sidewalk jewelry seller or your window shopping gets the best of you.

But one of the top reasons to come during the warm months is the fact that a large portion of the population is vacant from the city during the weekends between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The population that usually fills up all the good restaurant reservations. Score.

So hopefully that helps. Start planning. See you soon.

(Oh, just so you know, this is directly written for certain friends and family members who have yet to visit me. You know who you are.)

P dot S: Summer is also Intern Cougarbait Season. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment