Sunday, April 17, 2011

Patience Is Not My Virtue

Before I left work on Friday, one of my colleagues needed help carrying down some stuff she wanted to take home. Because at that point in the day I had reached my productivity breaking point I felt like helping others, I volunteered to go down to the lobby with her to meet her boyfriend.

Anyway, as I got back in the elevator to head upstairs, I was forced to do my least favorite thing ever: Wait. Our building is really great in a lot of ways, e.g. the lobby's beautiful fresh flower arrangements or how the air is filled with the fragrance of glorious garlic bread courtesy of Little Italy next door, but the one thing I detest is that the elevator doors refuse to shut - no matter how many times you press the 'close' button - until a certain amount of time passes.

Those 30 seconds, sort of like Internet video ads, are the longest, most dreadful seconds of my day. So since it was Friday and I didn't hate everyone, I made small talk with the delivery guy who was waiting with me. Why yes, it is really annoying since clearly no one is coming. Then ol' Chatty Cathy mentioned how she's just really impatient in general. He paused, looked at me and said, "Someday you'll become patient. You just have to meet the right person."

Wait, what? I thought we were talking about elevators?!

Oh, maybe he meant one day if I got a puppy then I'd learn patience?
That's probably right.

No comments:

Post a Comment