Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Love And Other Feelings I Don't Currently Associate With

When I realized I'd have the weekend to myself, I made a conscious decision to do something I've never done before: Go to the movies by myself. Co-dependent Rachel needed a break. And you know what? It was great.

I mean, when you think about it, it's probably one of the best activities you could do solo. You have to be quiet anyway, what does it matter if you're alone? I guess one drawback is that you can't talk to anyone about it after, although according to the Cinematic Snob Dolo, that is more of an incentive so your impressions aren't tarnished.

For this momentous occassion, I decided to see Love and Other Drugs. Spending $12 for two hours of Jake Eye Candy seemed like it would be a good investment whether or not I liked the movie. Cupcake Alert: It was.

(Total side bar, but does any one else find it incredibly bizarre that Jake went from practically married to Reese Witherspoon to dating Taylor Swift? That's like going from Barbie to Skipper, right??)

(Another side bar! During ACL four years ago - the middle of Austin's most famous bromance between Matthew McConaughey, Lance Armstrong, and Jake - I was backstage (thanks to S' awesome parents' hookup) and I walked past Jake and he acknowledged my presence. And because I'm the worst celebrity interactor in the world, I froze then ran away. And that could have been my chance at true love and I blew it. Or it was just another day in my life. Whatever.)

Okay I'm done. So the movie was no The Notebook. The love story was sweet and sad enough to remind me I'm going to die alone but not so sappy to make me cry. Also my heart is currently made of concrete. It could have all been so different, Jake.

I probably enjoyed the premise of the movie more than the average person since Big Pharma pays the bills (random, right?). It's crazy to see how much the industry has changed since the free-wheelin' pharma rep days (mucho regulations, for the better IMO). It was also a good reminder that we should not start dressing like the 90s again. That is a reminder for myself mostly. I have some weird stuff in my closet right now.

Here's the Times' review in case you want to read more about the movie without personal anecdotes about Jake, but really why would you?

"It's always been you, Rach."
FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment