Monday, November 1, 2010

I Heart Halloween: 2010 Edition

I've always loved Halloween. It's an opportunity to be crafty and clever, two of my favorite things. So when the final days of October were slipping through my fingers and I hadn't come up with a costume idea, I was distraught. Yeah, first-world problems.

In my closet I stumbled across a random yellow dress I'd bought months ago at Forever 21 because it was only $12. Who knew when I'd ever wear this puffy sleeved, sunshine monstrosity, but you know, since it was so cheap, why not. This mindset drives The BFF insane. Spend money to save money. "You're still spending money?!"

Anyway, because I'm allergic to buying costumes, I figured this was the perfect opportunity to transform the dress. Slap on some black stripes and I'd have myself a bee outfit. 

After work one day, I stopped by Ricky's Halloween Super Store for some bee-autiful accessories, including awesome giant yellow sunglasses, which turned out to be my favorite part of the costume. Bee-ware, though, when you try to save money by making your own costume, you always spend more. But I guess it works out since I save so much money other times. (Yes, my world is full of ridiculous justifications. It's part of my charm.)

I still wasn't satisfied, though. A bumble bee is boring. I'm better than that. You might say I was bee-side myself.

A Mensa candidate in all her duct tape glory.
Then at 3pm on Friday afternoon it hit me: Spelling Bee. You're right, genius.

All I needed were some letters, and luckily the Craft Gods were smiling down on me that day. At my local drug store I found foam letters with sticky backs, exactly what I needed. It was meant to bee. (Last pun, I promise. Maybe.)

My Spelling Bee costume (inexplicably) received more attention than even my infamous Slutty Lobster costume from a few years ago. Two-dates-scheduled-for-this-week's worth of attention. (Even if some people thought I was alphabet soup.)

The festivities started on Friday night at a party at Carnival (the weirdest place ever but so perfect for Halloween) with the girls from last weekend's horse race, and continued on until Sunday. Only when I thought I was dying from strep throat (turns out to just be a cold) did I slow down.

A great weekend of fall merriment. And according to all the retail stores in New York, tomorrow is Christmas. I love this time of year! Until January comes around and I realize I hate cold weather.

Here are some well-bee-haved pictures from the weekend:
(I lied, there was one more up my sleeve!!)

All but one are Texans.
Pretty good representation, I must say.

I even made a new friend. Who lives in my 'hood.
And is familiar with Kennedy's. Perfection.


Keep in mind when you're choosing a costume next year that
"It's meee, Marioooooooo" is a fun thing to repeatedly scream all night.

I'm not sure at what point we got glowsticks,
but obviously it means it was a successful night.
Hope everyone else had a great weekend too!

1 comment:

  1. What a super cute idea!! Much more original than mine... since we were in NYC and in the whole 'traveling' mindset, we forgot to plan/pack costumes. So I ran around Union Square Saturday night telling people, "my costume was super obvious, y'all. I'm a Texan."


    Laaaaaame, I know.

    ReplyDelete