Wednesday, November 3, 2010

It Finally Happened...

No, I didn't get a puppy. Or win the lottery. Or anything else remotely exciting.

But a guy did give me his business card as I waited for the subway after work. Unfortunately he wasn't my type (read: not cute...not even remotely...IAAB), so when he gave me the polite out by asking if I had a boyfriend, I totally took it. Ahh the speed and agility of which I grabbed hold of that fictitious relationship excuse - especially from the girl who always feels awkward saying she's off the market when she actually is - was impressive. And probably totally transparently fake. Oh well. He asked.

After I politely walked away toward the train that had just arrived, he followed me to ask if he could ask me another question. Asking "Can I ask you something else?" is annoying. Asking "Any chance you'll break up with your (fictitious) boyfriend any time soon?" is more annoying. "Me and Fictitious Boyfriend are very happy," I assured him. Otherwise known as "I Already Rejected You Once, This Is Becoming Uncomfortable."

Anyway, that didn't stop him from insisting I take his business card, which informed me that he's on the legal team for my office building. Hooray for potential awkward encounters in the future!

The weirdest part, though, was the fact that I looked horrible. I don't mean that in a self-deprecating "Aw gosh darn I don't look my prettiest" way, I mean it in a "Break-out-blemish-dry-skin-combo-and-maybe-try-taking-a-shower-so-you-don't-look-like-a-homeless-person" way.

Then it all made sense. It has nothing to do with me. It's the The Universe, it is whack. My dating mojo has returned, and I've somehow shot to the top of the Singles Bell Curve.

The attention has been a nice incentive to keep faith that maybe I won't die alone (and will hopefully make my mom feel comfortable sending me family member's wedding websites whereas last week she worried she might be "provoking" my CMS...).

So, although I rejected Lawyer McTooManyQuestion-Asker, I did accept a date with a guy I met on Halloween who was dressed like Kenneth The Page. (Mostly because I'm obsessed with 30 Rock.) But also I figured I might as well make the most of the fleeting attention.

So tonight I drink wine in Gramercy. And the rest of winter I sit at home, hibernating in my sweatpants, and wait for my prince charming. I think that is a fair compromise.

(I know, I know, I better do some other stuff because otherwise this blog will get uber boring, and no one wants that! Especially the girl who has to write the boring posts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment