Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Do You Remember That Episode of FRIENDS?

I'll be honest, it always really bothered me that she
had on that horrible track suit when she did that.
I mean, it's a wedding, have some decency...
The one where Ross is about to marry Emily in London, and Rachel barges in, causing Ross to say the wrong name at the altar, and everything goes to hell?

Well, that's basically been my life this weekend. Without a wedding. Or jolly ol' England.

But the fact of the matter is that I was totally Rachel in this situation. And what do you know, the same  "If you want to stay together, you can't ever talk to Rachel again" ultimatum was presented.

Much like in the episode, "Ross" was torn. Did he live up to his commitment to "Emily," or tether himself to his friendship with Rachel on the chance that it could lead to something more?

The truth is, in my story at least, things shouldn't have gotten to the point that they did. But our connection and compatibility took our friendship a few steps way too far. Even though important factors - e.g. thousands of miles and other people's feelings - stood in the way, I still rocked the boat, making me the Girl Who Played With Fire. (I mean, obviously not literally. I'm no Lisbeth.) But either way, he reciprocated. Yes, I barged in and ruined their happiness. But he still said the wrong name at the altar.

He proceeded to flounder, per usual Ross style, going back and forth until he got to the decisive finale.

Unlike the show, he ended up accepting the Emily-matum. And he also accepted that her demand stemmed directly from her going through his email and finding my note where I laid out all my cards (and heart) on the line. (And I assume she also noticed his equally inspired reply.) But oh well. I guess sometimes conviction-fueled acts of CGS don't always end disastrously?

In the end, TV Ross can't bear to lose Rachel in his life.

In my life, Rachel gets UNfriended on Facebook. (Thanks to Mark Zuckerberg, it's much harder to "never speak to someone again" since speak now means chat, see, type, hear, and most importantly, stalk.)

And so now I move on.

P dot S: Can everyone channel themselves back to when the show was on the air? I was always on Team Ross and Rachel. The line from the first time they get together after all the will-they, won't-they - "It's always been you, Rach" - is my favorite line ever. Sigh. It's just so perfectly simple. And it probably helps having the same name. If only life - or sitcom plotlines - didn't make everything so complicated.)

3 comments:

  1. this tool bag doesn't deserve either girl.....hopefully his gf will realize that...DOUCHE

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh girl, join the club. been in it since 2009. just make sure you dont get the email/password of a friend who IS his fbook friend because thats when things get just straight creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to make a point, while Ross did ultimately decide to go w/ Emily she rejected him and he didn't pick rachel until his marriage to Emily was totally over. So the analogy doesn't actually work when you think about the fact that Ross didn't say that its always BEEN Rachel until it ONLY was Rachel. Ross was really just trying to take whatever he could get whcih just kinda makes the thought of 2 women fighting over some guy who really isn't that great sorta sad.

    ReplyDelete