Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanks-Christmas: It's All Running Together

According to retail stores and TV commercials, we're well into the holiday season. I mean, it's only four weeks until Christmas so we better start getting our cheer on!

Oh, right, and Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm staying in the North, visiting relatives up here and enjoying a somewhat-quiet weekend in the city. I'm sad not to be going home, but knowing that in less than a month I will be spending twelve days of Christmas (and New Year's for my brother's wedding!) in Austin makes it seem okay.

One of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions, though, I will miss: Making my brother feel guilty for leaving me off his "thankfulness" placemat he made in preschool.  All three kids in my family have one, my youngest brother's goes something like this:

"I'm thankful for carrots, burritos, popcicles, water, cheetos. I'm thankful for sunshine and pumpkin pies. I'm thankful for Trey, Claire and Charlie and Dad and Mom...and Rachel"

Apparently he was too busy thinking about food and his neighbor friends to remember his only sister. I was a pretty smart elementary school aged kid at that point and I totally called my mom out for writing my name over the laminate!

Anyway, in honor of his random placemat of thankfulness, here are a few things I'm thankful for:
  • The wonderful BFF who knows that festive party planning is the best way to help me get past any silly boy drama currently crumpling my ego. Oh, and having her surprise me with a Winter Wonderland-decorated apartment? That's why she's the best. (And why it pays to live in The Dollar Store District!)
  • Congregating friends from various groups, stages of life, etc. all in one (tiny) apartment. I'm also grateful for my efficient domesticity, which led to me throwing together a baked brie with pecans & cranberries and pumpkin-chocolate cupcakes with minimal baking skills. Big hit, but low-stress and delicious. And sharing White Russians, because really what's more festive than the Big Lebowski's signature drink?
  • Speaking of Russians, having The Russian and Jersey, two friends/former crushes/decent guys, show up to the aforementioned party. A nice reminder those do exist.
  • My dog Jesse who has had a mysterious Facebook profile for over a year. Last year my mom told the family no one was allowed to eat Thanksgiving supper until somebody fessed up. A year later and it's still unsolved!
  • Match.Mom's current project of setting me up with her childhood friend's extremely attractive, orthopedic surgeon son. Finally, a good reason to have your mom on Facebook.
  • A fall full of fun. Between ACL, The Hunt, the Spelling Bee Halloween, and my mom's visit, I've had a fantastic time in my favorite season. (If only the Longhorns weren't having a "rebuilding year.")
  • My family. I miss them and can't wait to see them soon!
Hope everyone else has a fantastic Thanksgiving! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh... the 'rebuilding' year. Let's discuss, shall we?

    I married an Aggie. Voluntarily. Without the use of a gun to my head or the threat of being thrown onto a late November bonfire. My entire family (minus my Horned Frog self) went to UT. We've had season tickets since I was in the womb. Literally.

    Needless to say, Thanksgiving is the most stressful, hateful and overall dramatic holiday of the year. We'll be loading up to head down to ATX tomorrow and I've already told the hubs: if/when/should they win, he must keep his mouth shut. Otherwise, I'm strapping him to the hood of the car by his toenails and driving back to FW.

    PS: I obviously love him. Well.. 364 days out of the year.

    ReplyDelete