Monday, November 29, 2010

I'm Exhausted From All My Thankfulness

The holiday weekend was the perfect mix of family, friends, and solitude. And I needed all three equally.

On Wednesday night I headed to my aunt and uncle's house in Beacon, a great little town up the Hudson River from the city. I really love it there, such a nice escape.

My dad's brother has lived in New York since before I was born. You would never guess he is from Lubbock, Texas. Much like my father, my uncle is The Smartest Person You've Ever Met. His wife is in the club too. Visiting them leaves me with a bit of an intellectual hangover, but in a refreshing way if that makes sense.

On Thanksgiving we headed to my cousin's house in Connecticut. Her kids are the ones who help me keep a pulse on America's Youth. Spoiler Alert: Silly Bandz are so over. Email forwards with funny animal pictures are still in.

As sad as it was to be missing out on my own family time (I hate to be left out!!), I really enjoy experiencing other families' traditions and holidays. Except when other people's Thanksgiving appetizers include mini pigs-in-a-blanket and I feel compelled to eat 27 of them because I make horrible decisions and have no self-control.

In addition those little evil treats and the normal turkey and sides, Colombian and Portuguese heritages were represented at the table making the meal quite a feast. Lasagna, arroz con polo, oh and homemade vino. I can respect that. All in all, it was a wonderful day (and, let's be honest, I probably did myself a favor by not watching the UT game...).

The next day I headed back to the city where I spent over 24 hours alone. I love my co-dependent life with The BFF, but I'm definitely one of those people who needs to recharge her batteries. It was gloriously unproductive.

On Saturday I caught up with my friend Jordan, introducing her to the Texas crew who had stayed in town too. All you can eat sushi and sake after two solid days of binge eating, why of course that's a great idea...!

But it wasn't over yet. On Sunday night, to finish off the weekend, my friend Cori and I went to the opening gala for the American Art Fair, courtesy of my uncle who works at a gallery. Clearly any event I'm invited to that includes passed h'orderves is right up my alley, but I wasn't aware it would have another one of my favorite things: Celebrity sightings!

I looked across the room, gazing past the beautiful paintings and WASPy crowd, when I focused in on a tuft of white hair and thick-framed glasses.

Steve Martin.

Genius, actor, comedian, wild and crazy guy, person I follow on Twitter, one time guest star on 30 Rock. Of course it took every ounce of strength to remain the totally dignified and sophisticated person I am, but I managed to play it cool. By that I mean I did not totally embarrass myself or accidentally break any priceless art.

His new novel An Object of Beauty is set in the New York art scene. I must read it now that we run in the same circles.

I think we can all agree that Father of the Bride is one of the best movies of all time.
Hope everyone else had a great Thanksgiving too!

No comments:

Post a Comment