Monday, April 12, 2010

The One Before The One


As more and more people I know are getting engaged and married, there have been a few instances where I've experienced being The One Before The One. Like I was the last (or one of the last) girls he dated before declaring his eternal commitment to someone else. And it's weird. Most were randoms who I went out with a few times, it went no where, and then bam, he turned the corner and walked smack into his soulmate. (His douchey soulmate in the case of some).

A few weeks ago, J's former GF got married to a childhood friend, which was featured in an in-depth article describing how they ended up together. While the groom's former girlfriend was alluded to as part of the story, J was left out of the piece. And his attention-seeking self was a little disappointed.

Not me. Unless I'm the one getting married, I don't want any part in someone else's love story, especially in the role of "She could have been The One until The Actual One came along."

Although the ultimate One Before The One instance has yet to happen, according to some light Facebook stalking, it seems fairly likely that The College BF will end up with the girl he met soon after I left.

And that's great for him, but hell to the no would I ever be okay with being name checked in their wedding announcement. This week's Times Vows couple story not only mentioned that the guy was dating someone when he met his future wife, but called her out by name! Even Gawker thought it was weird.

P dot S: The couple met at Burning Man where she was dressed as a Jedi knight, which just continues fanning the flames of awkwardness in this love story. Burning, flames, GET IT? Haaa. I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment