Sunday, April 25, 2010

Guest Post: Prom Drama - The Stuff High School Dreams Are Made Of

[Ed. note: When I went on my whirlwind world tour de Texas six weeks ago, I overheard my aunt describing to my grandma how my cousin Laurel was asked by her crush to the prom. I was intrigued. As Gossip Girl proves, you never really out grow your affinity for high school drama. Now, a week after the event finally unfolded, I give you her blog vindication. It's also a real life story to complete the stroll down memory lane of previous life stages. Reading her guest post didn't make me feel old or out-of-touch. Nope. It made me feel 17 again (not Zach Efron style). The initial excitement that leads to monumental expectations. The day-of hoop jumping and sense of endless possibilities. The awesome dance music. The other woman. The crush who crushes your hopes and dreams. The final let-down. See if you can relate.]

Laurel:

The perfect ask: Basically, my friend PD and I have a cute inside joke about carrots and ranch dressing because I eat them at lunch everyday, so one Wednesday night he brought over a sign with PROM? spelled out with carrots and ranch. [I thought stuff like this only happened on Laguna Beach. I guess guys at my high school didn’t realize making an effort would have been a nice gesture.] Keep in mind that this was THE GUY I wanted to go with and have liked for 2.5 years. So as you could infer, I was PUMPED.

Well after that it was pretty much the same between us. No dates, no nothing, but I kept holding strong until I found out that he had a girlfriend. Say what? A couple of weeks before Prom, he started seeing a girl, but hey, I thought, at least I get Prom, so I'll just suck it up and get one night and then she can have all the rest... [No joke, I lived through at least two similar situations. Ugh. You just think that one night will convince him you're the one. That only happens on made-for-TV movies on ABC Family.]

The (not so perfect) big day: The day of went pretty smoothly except for almost not being on time to pick up the boutonniere. (Since when is it okay for a flower place to close at 2 pm. On a Prom Saturday? Never.) After I picked up the boutonniere, I headed over to get my hair done. All the nails were done the day before, so I could have some breathing room in between all the day's duties. I knew exactly how I wanted my hair, and it turned out perfect! One of my friends was sitting next to me so we chatted, and got some prom nerves out, and then right after she left, another friend came into take her place. Needless to say, I was a complete chatter box. [Out of the three proms I attended, I never had a better time than I did getting ready beforehand. It seems to be universal.]

During that time, PD texted me to check what time pick up was, which made me smile. I'm a sucker. I love that sudden urge of getting a surprising text. It makes all 13 hours I spend checking my phone completely worth it. [Isn't that always the truth?]

The next hour was a blur of putting on makeup and getting on the outfit. At 4:45, my mom announced he was here. The awkward meeting - where the date has to talk with the parents and it can be really weird and uncomfortable - made me laugh this time around, don't ask me why.

The before-hand pictures were great and so was dinner. We walked down the road cracking jokes with each other. The whole thing didn't seem real at all. I was having the best time with the guy I wanted to go with, who had just paid for my dinner. [Aww.]

We were having a complete blast dancing until PD's future gf walked in - not dressed for prom - with her friend. I got tingly with anger and jealousy. I kept hoping he wouldn't leave me for her, but the next thing I knew he went to ask if she was okay (because she had been sick earlier in the day). What was I supposed to do, forbid it? Sure.

No more than ten seconds after that I look over and he's dancing with her. Cool. I pulled the bathroom card and the other girls in my group followed me out while another friend went to talk to PD and knock some sense into him. [Every group of girlfriends ever knows this move well. It's a classic.]

PD comes over after, knowing he did something wrong and apologizing like crazy. I say that I don't want to dance and start walking away. He keeps on apologizing, we go into the actual dance room and sit down. Then I tell him why I'm so upset. Yep, I did the complete unloading of every story and every thought I'd ever had about him. He stares at me, says that he completely messed up, asks why I didn't tell him everything sooner and we talk about a bunch of other stuff that made me feel so much better. Then Ke$ha's Tik Tok came on, which was kinda an inside joke/our song, so he asked if I wanted to dance again. This time I said yes.

At that point he became a good boy who followed me around being extra smiley, cute and funny the rest of the time. Until...BAM. PDgf's friend pulls him over and tells him something. I don't think anything about it, figuring he's just talking to a friend. Wrong.

Soon after, he makes up a dumb excuse about needing to leave, and I walk him to his car. We stand outside talking some more, hugging, laughing and hand-holding. All the cute things that keep replaying in my mind, it was great. [Oh I know that feeling too. Every millisecond counts.]

I walk back inside, totally glazed over in a rosy-giddiness. I knew that he would text me later...

Umm. Nope. Not once.

By Sunday morning, PD and PDgf were Facebook official. First of all, real mature, but second, I still had no text about what happened. On Monday, my friend tells me in last period that it turns out PD didn't go where he said he was going when he left me at Prom. In fact, he went to have hot tub time with PDgf. Wow. [He should have taken a Hot Tub Time Machine to a moment when he was less of jackass.]

We haven't spoken a word sense. Oh, high school drama.

[Ed. note: OMG he sucks. High school boys in general are not the brightest crop. But, c'mon, have you seen how cute Laurel is?? And, dude, it's almost summer. That relationship will be over in a month, tops.

Reading through this, I was able to remember how every emotion she experienced felt when it happened to me too. Her excitement and ultimate let down proves you never outgrow the high school drama because those feelings you experienced then will always haunt you. But, if my own blog vindication can be of inspiration, perhaps in six years her HS Crush will profess his one-time feelings for her, stand outside of a car and for once and for all make the move you had mapped out in your head so many times before. In the mean time, you're adorable and he doesn't deserve you. Plus, in a year you'll be moving on to bigger and better things, e.g. college. Thanks for sharing, xoxo!]

1 comment:

  1. Awww, this post was such a throwback. We have definitely all been there at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete