Monday, April 12, 2010

Kids These Days

This past weekend The BFF and I journeyed upstate to visit my aunt and uncle who happened to be babysitting my cousin's kids. They told us we could come another weekend if we didn't want to share in on the excitement (read: mayhem), but to be honest, I think it made it even more incentive to ditch the city for the day.

The BFF and I both babysat a lot growing up and kind of miss being around kids. That is, until you see one throwing a giant sobbing tantrum in the checkout line at Duane Reade, and you say a silent, thankful prayer that you're not the parent having to make the decision of whether or not to be the enabler who bribes his kid to behave. Oh what do you know, he caved.

While I'm currently content being the sole proprietor of cranky fits due to being hungry and/or tired (Sorry, J.), it's refreshing to be around the youth of America now that I'm sort of a real life adult who has no clue.

The kiddos (4th grade, 2nd grade, almost Kindergarten) were super cute and became even cuter once they decided The BFF and I were the coolest people ever. Obviously.

"I want to sit next to Rachel! I want to give Rachel a makeover! I want to play with Rachel!"

The attention was quite lovely, even if we did both come home covered in more glitter than if we'd been at a rave in Chelsea.

And we came back not just coated in cheap Hello Kitty makeup, but also full of knowledge about kids these days. Did you know stretchy, animal-shaped rubber bracelets are the cool thing de jour? Did you know that telling kids stories like "When I was your age, pogs were the most awesome thing ever and I had a super sweet rose hologram slammer!" is incredibly uninteresting since that was like 100 years ago? Did you know the phrase "This one is so rare" about any collectible toy like that is the most idiotic thing ever but you totally buy into it whatever it is? Ahh some things never change.

The BFF and I also were educated about the humor of Alvin and the Chipmunks The Squeakquel (that's time I won't be getting back in my life, sadly), and were shown that we do not, in fact, have the world's shortest attention spans. Hooray.

The funniest part, though, were the questions. Kids really are so freakin' insightful.

The best one?

"Which one of you is the evil one?"

Bwahaha.

It's a fair question. The answer? It depends on the day; we take turns.

1 comment: