Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wednesday's Edition of Living Vicariously Through Others

A few months ago, I wrote about how a new friend's relationship inspired me to not give up on meeting a guy in New York. To sum up their story: After having known each other as friendly acquaintances for a few years, L and K finally started dating. She's great, he's great, they're great. Instant love connection. It was only a matter of time until they got engaged. Except then it didn't happen. And she waited. And waited. And there was still no ring. And ohmygosh seriously? (This is my own impatience talking. I like instant gratification when living vicariously through others.)

After recently moving in (to a sick apartment) together, we were all on high-alert. Any vacation or trip to the beach warranted a 'is there anything you want to tell us???' email. I suggested she get weekly manicures for the show-off-the-bling photos that were sure to take place any minute. And then I went off to Germany ringless. I mean, I left for Germany and L was ringless. (Yes, I get that this isn't about me, but it's my blog and I am a sad, crazy person!) While I (selfishly) would have preferred this time to coincide with me being in the city so I could squeal about it in person, I'm beyond excited that it happened last weekend. Anyway, after attempting to piece together the sequence of events via Facebook stalking, I made L write up a recap for me, which she is sweet enough to share with all of you. Because who doesn't like feelings of jealousy happiness to help get her (or for my lone male reader, 'him') through the week. Did I mention her fiance is a handsome doctor. Okay I'll shut up now.

So, my story is not nearly as creepy as your story [Ed note: I sent her a Euro dating update]...but very exciting!! K finally proposed and it was absolutely, 100% worth the wait. (minus my craziness of asking him every day for the past 2 months where my g-d ring is!!!). So, in "hurricane" prep...we were being evacuated from our building..and had to bring everything inside off our patio. However, it was GORG out..no sign of any hurricane in sight..so we said screw this..and K suggested we go to Chelsea Piers for a drink. We got there...and it was empty because everyone in NYC apparently had already gone into hurricane hiding. K suggested we go take a walk out on the dock..but the dock master (who K had previously instructed to give us a hard time) would not let us on..then, finally he was like "eh, go ahead it is so quiet here today..it's your lucky day!" So as soon as we walk out onto the pier..I was like "holy shit, K...check out that yacht!!!" so K was like..let's see if he will take us for a ride. So the boat keeper (this French man that sounded just like the boat guy from 'along came polly') was like..I'm actually heading to get fuel, you guys are welcome to come along. Being the most oblivious person on earth...I was thinking this guy was going to like kidnap us or something..so I kept being like K, I think this is a BAD idea. Seconds later my ADD kicked in..and I just was enjoying being on a 42 ft yacht at sunset. We drove all the to the statue of liberty..and then on the way back we passed our apt building. K was such a good actor..and was like omg, I think people are in our apt taking the stuff off the balcony for the hurricane! At this point he just "happened to have binoculars" in his bag..which I didn't even pick up on bc I was like "We are going to get in so much trouble for not taking our stuff inside!" (bc the city was being so ridiculously over-cautious about this hurricane that everything was mandatory at our building since we are feet from the Hudson river). So I grab the binoculars from him..and I am trying to focus on our apt (meanwhile ...K is behind me..on one knee..while it literally took me 4 mins to find our apt. So...hanging across our whole dining room/living room windows was this HUGE sign that said "will you marry me" I just screamed...started crying..and turned around and tackled him. It was amazing. When we got back to our apt both our families were there with bubbly and presents and hugs. 

I die, don't you? When I read this the first time, I laughed so hard because everything about it is very them. And it was still a great, sweet surprise after so much build-up. I mean, this guy set up a hurricane for her? (The alternative could have been like another long-term couple's story I recently heard where they moved in together and the boyfriend yelled at the girl to hurry up in the bathroom and when she came out, he was on one knee. That does not bode well for future romance!)

But this does. Creative, romantic, and well, I mean, just look at the bling.




I'd say it was worth the wait. (And, btw, nice mani.)


CONGRATS TO YOU BOTH!!!!!!!!!!! MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments: