Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Looking Into The Future

Last weekend I spent a good day straight reading one of the new books I'd downloaded on my iPad, I Totally Meant to Do That by Jane Bordon. 

I could lie to you and say I just found it by randomly searching on iBooks, but we're friends. I'm going to be honest with you. One night I was bored while simultaneously in need of some "maybe I won't die alone" inspiration and found myself on the New York Times' Vows site where couples can film their own 'how we met' videos. My favorite was Jane and her husband Nathan's, who talked about how they met "like people did 30 years ago: at a coffee shop." Watch it so I feel like less of a stalkerish loser, please. Aren't they adorable?

Anyway, from there I learned she had written a book about the struggle of being a Southerner in New York, always feeling the tug of home while loving her life in the city (or in her case, after a few years, Brooklyn). Considering that is more or less my life, I of course had to read it.

I loved it. It's funny how a total stranger can have so many similar experiences only a few years ahead of you in life. (Her description of the "Frat halfway house" to describe the rotating apartments full of Southern guys in Murray Hill or the Upper East Side was spot on.)

She also compares her Craigslist roommate searches to that of Rush (she was a Tri-Delt at UNC, which I learned was not much different than my experience as a Kappa at UT). Although, while she did have some interesting living situations, none seemed nearly as horrible as being accosted about condiments by a Psychoface. Oh wait, I never lived above a heroin dealer. She wins.

Before I had finished the book, I'd Skyped with my grandma Dolo and told her about it. She was not excited about me reading this pro-New York propaganda. But in the final chapter, Jane makes peace with the fact that leaving New York won't be giving up on her future. It'll just be a change.

Considering I deal with this subject every single time I speak with my mother, it was good to hear the words of a wiser woman who has been in a similar situation.

Now if only I could find a cute guy at a coffee shop....

4 comments:

  1. That book sounds amazing and so do the videos! Love your blog!

    Tabitha
    My-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny...sounds like a must-read! And too bad most guys at coffee shops in the US are smokers, gay, OR they're just really pretentious straight pricks trying to look smarter and way more important than they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I found your blog in the comments section of Cup of Jo when you mentioned Berlin! (Yeah, tried to figure out a less creepy way to write that sentence...obvi it didn't go so well)

    I'm moving to Berlin next week for work and have loved reading about your thoughts so far! Shoot me an email if you want to chat!
    rachelmhauge@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful read - and I'm cracking up about how you found it. I must admit, I scan the Vows section only to see if any exes have gotten hitched...maybe I should actually, um, read the entries.

    Also, can I just say how sad your blog header makes me? I can't wait til you change it back to Guide to Menhattan!

    ReplyDelete