Sunday, September 4, 2011

I've Been Meaning to Tell You Something

I met someone. (I know, way to bury the lede on that one.) Let me take the initiative to answer the hypothetical questions you must be dying to ask me.

Is he German? Duh. Thus we will refer to him as The German.

Does he speak English? Duh. His English might be better than mine, actually, considering my love for abbreves and made up words. I'm having to tone that down so he can understand me.

Does he have a cute accent? Yes. Sigh.

Has he ever been to America? Yeah, he's spent a fair amount of time there. His parents "holiday" in Florida once or twice a year. He's been to New York. And next spring he's going to his friend's wedding in the great metropolis of Fredericksburg, Texas. Pretttty exciting.

Does he know about this blog? Not to my knowledge! After the poor reaction from the last guy I dated, I think I will wait until a) he finds it himself or b) I feel obligated to share it with him.

What's he like? So dream-y. Handsome, tall, tan, charming, sweet, smart, etc. Oh, and he dresses well. Like jeans and polos, NOT man-capris and black socks with sandals.

How did you meet? At my friend Uli's party. To be honest, it was a bit of a set-up. A few weeks earlier, I had asked her if she and her boyfriend knew any guys to introduce me to. (New city = new friends-of-friends possibilities!) They mentioned a guy who they would invite him to the party, and when he showed up I was secretly very excited. We were chatting, and at one point he moved to sit next to me on the couch. Apparently everyone started placing on bets on whether we liked it each other. It was very middle-school-esque, which happens to be my dating specialty. Later he shared his jacket with me because I refuse to dress for the weather. Then we held hands. Awwwww. Then we danced together. Like I said, very middle-school. (That is, if guys actually had liked me in middle school.)


Have you been on, like, dates and stuff? Not only have we hung out more times in one week than I have with guys I've dated for months in New York, but we have also done fun activities together. Last week he invited me to see a German-cult classic movie at the Kino (cinema) with this brother and his girlfriend. The movie was dubbed in German (originally in Italian), but it was made in the 70s and was campy enough that I managed to understand a lot! Then on Friday he invited me to a wine tasting. We arrived a few minutes late to find a table of maybe 20 people introducing themselves. In my best German, I said, "Mein name ist Rachel. Ich komme aus den New York. Ich spreche nur ein bischen Deutsche aber Ich kann trinken." ("My name is Rachel. I come from New York. I only speak a little German but I can drink.") Afterward, he told me he was impressed with my introduction and said people found it very charming. I am not sure if that part is true, but it was a good night: I learned some stuff about Portuguese wine, bought a few bottles for my upcoming house guests, and alerted him to the fact that, when presented with the opportunity, I will eat my body's weight in free cheese. The next morning we took a day trip together, driving around Germany in his convertible (more on that later) eating a picnic on a beach, and enjoying being out of the city. That night we went to a birthday party where we danced to some good ol' fashioned American Oldies. He's got some sweet moves, and not just for a German.

Are you going to get married and stay in Germany forever? Yes, mom.

Okay, that's all for now... I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment