Sunday, August 7, 2011

Oh What a Difference a Week Makes

Besides for hanging out with Amber, I also got to take time this weekend to do some exploring. Saturday morning I woke in surprisingly good condition after having gone to bed at 5 am the night before. (I was pretty impressed by this. Had I been in NYC, I would have been home by 3 am at the latest. But since Berlin has no closing time, I still looked like a baby. I can never win this game.)

Anyway, with a growing list of errands I needed to take care of, I got myself up and out of the house. Stamps purchased to mail my grandma Dolo a birthday card, check. (Which will hopefully get there before September.) Wine to bring to a dinner party that night, check. Spare set of keys, check.

The weather - originally thought to be pretty crummy - turned out to be perfection. Deep blue sky. Big white clouds. Warm, breezy temperatures. While walking back to my flat, I discovered a hilly green park littered with people on blankets. Count me in. I walked the five minutes home and headed back to soak it up.

Side bar: Since I went a little iTunes crazy before I left, I've been reading non-stop on my iPad. In the past two days, I have finished two Chelsea Handler books. Before this, I found her funny, but she also made me super uncomfortable. Now I find her hilarious and she makes me super uncomfortable. But regardless, I really want to be part of her entourage. She goes on the sickest vacations. Here are just a few things we have in common:

  1. We both love to laugh at our own jokes and lie for our own amusement.
  2. We say things no one should ever believe and yet they totally buy it. 
  3. We're incredibly afraid of snakes. 
  4. We both hate karaoke. 
  5. We love fat babies. 

Anyway, Chels and I spent the next few hours reminding ourselves that it is in fact still summer and not quite time to go back to being super pasty. It was glorious.

After that, I had a much-needed Skype date with The BFF. Man do I miss my hetero-life partner! So many things to catch up on!

Then I showered and got ready for a dinner party with the same work-related crew from my first Saturday in town. We gathered at my client's for homemade sushi prepared by her niece SS, who is a year older than me. It was so much fun and reminded me of my "all you can eat" sushi nights with my favorite pals in NYC. Only much quieter and less sticky without the sake bombing.

From there, SS, her BF T and I met up with Amber and her friends. No such luck finding a German guy on this outing either, but I'm not giving up! At least they played good music. (Almost all the music here is American top 40 which is amazing because I understand it! Also, during dinner we listened to Matchbox 20. Time machine back to middle school/early high school. Or the time Elle invited me to see Rob Thomas with her bosses and we were so close he was literally sweating on us. Either way, the music choice was so random but I loved it. I know what you're thinking, good story.)

After another fun night out, I woke up on Sunday with zero motivation, and the ominous, cloudy gray day greeting me from my window did not help things. After more reading in bed (now on to David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day), I finally mustered up the strength to walk all the way down the hall to my washer and learn how to use it. Yeah, it was strenuous. So I obviously needed a nap.

Finally I decided that since it wasn't actually raining I should take the afternoon to do some more exploring because it's embarrassing that I live five minutes from the outdoor Berlin Wall museum and haven't actually been to it yet.

After soaking up some history, I walked through my newly beloved Prenzlauer Berg neighborhood, which I had been told is full of yuppie families and now can attest that I've never seen so many children before in my life. It was a little overwhelming for my ears to say the least.

But I love the area. It is so beautiful, and I'm glad I'm here when it's warm enough to enjoy wandering around, stumbling on a "flohmarkt" (flea market) and making mental notes about near-by outdoor cafes. Preferably to go to when I have more friends.

All in all a great weekend. I still don't speak German nor do I understand how to actually get around on the public transportation, but that's what English speaking cab drivers are for, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment