Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Berlin Is Like...

Before I arrived, everyone kept advising me that Berlin is just like New York. Even this New York Magazine article gave me a breakdown of similarities. The truth is, though, it's not really at all. Besides for the fact that most people speak English and it's full of tourists clogging up quite a few of the sidewalks near the biggest landmarks, there is less in common with New York than other places I've been. (Plus, for the record, nothing is New York.)

So, instead, here is my breakdown as I've come to find it:

Berlin is like Chicago... it's sprawling. Half the trains run above ground. There are beautiful tall buildings, but for the most part you can see the sky. Oh, and it's way cleaner than New York. What, you don't just throw your trash on the side walk? You hide it somewhere? What is wrong with you?!

Berlin is like Vegas... you can walk around with open containers of booze wherever you go. Not only is it not illegal, it's encouraged! (Granted Germans walk around with beer, not four-feet tall plastic souvenir cups of pina coladas hence it's a little more subdued. But still, that seems like how the world should be, right?)

Berlin is like Austin... everyone is always wearing jeans! Casual dining, casual work, casual bars - even some of the clubs! I've already mentioned how casual it seems, but seriously, does no one care? I mean, I can get on board if I need to. Clearly I am as lazy as they come if it's acceptable...so does this mean I can bring back Nike running shorts as part of my staple wardrobe?

Okay that's all for now... I have had dinner plans with friends the past two nights and was just invited to dinner with two more tonight! Will provide a proper update on my popularity soon...

2 comments:

  1. You're right, NOTHING is like New York! That open booze thing is pretty cool though. I'm glad you're keeping a packed social calendar - can't wait for more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great city though! Would love to visit Berlin one day.

    ReplyDelete