Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Learning Curve

The language barrier isn't the only thing holding back my European acclimation. (Speaking of, I'm currently watching a Deutsche Disney channel movie of like the 17th Home Alone. It makes no sense, and not just because it's dubbed in German. For starters, the parents are divorced. No, just no. Not even all that stress of leaving behind a child - twice - could split up the McCallisters.) 

Anyway, it's not just words that are throwing me off, it's also the numbers. Did you know they switch the coma and the period, e.g. 20.000 is $20,000 and 20,00 is $20.00? (Except, of course, with the euro sign.) News to me. And it takes some getting used to. Here are a few more things I wish I was taught growing up. We live in a global world, people, maybe we should prepare the next generation a little better... 

  • Metric system. I would say as a country Americans sort of half-ass embrace this measurement system when we feel like it. Liter of cola, anyone? And sure, we're totally on board with the centimeter, but woah, please calculate that distance for me in feet. Now that I'm having to multiple each kilo by 2.2 pounds to see what kind of obesity I'm approaching, I really wish this was second nature.  

  • 24-hour time. I mean, this one is easy to figure out, but sometimes my brain is tired from work - or trying to figure out the plot points in Home Alone 25 (he still uses a tape recorder to trick people!) - so I wish it came more naturally to me. Like, sure, I will definitely make it to the 19:00 yoga class. Oh wait, when is that again? Oh darn, maybe next time.

  • Celsius temperatures. This one makes zero sense to me. And it's the one thing that Europeans make no effort to put into terms I understand. I don't blame them; the actual calculation is insane. So instead I've reverted to switching back and forth from Celsius to Fahrenheit on weather.com a million times. This has taught me that approximately 27° C (80° F) is perfecto and anything lower than 13° C (55° F) requires a jacket. Seems like the best solution for now. 


Okay, that's all my genius insight at the moment. I'm starting to get involved in the movie. (New) Keven just called (new) Buzz, and Buzz hung up on him. Typical. 

PS: "Buzz, your girlfriend, woof" and "Bring me back something French" remain two of the greatest movie quotes ever. 

2 comments:

  1. When I lived in Germany, my friend made me watch Home Alone with her in German and it was so funny dubbed. Interesting cultural differences in entertainment, for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. celsius makes no sense to me either!

    ReplyDelete