Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Berlin: Nachbarschaft & Whonung

Unfortunately I have no really exciting updates to share about my life. I've been going to work. I've been a little stressed about work. I've been coming home from work.

A big highlight this week was that I finally made it to the supermarket to go "food shopping" (I've spent 3.5 years avoiding using this what I consider to be a very North Eastern phrase - c'mon they're groceries - only to be bombarded with it here, so whatever I'm embracing it). That was interesting. I mean, it's not that difficult determining what different products are (e.g. I had no trouble buying three types of cheeses) but in terms of making "smart choices" I haven't really figured what what is high fat vs. skinny food. So whatever. I made some guesses. My pants will let you know the results in a few weeks.

Before I did that, though, I took advantage of the (unfortunately fleeting) beautiful weather to walk home and snap some photos of my nachbarschaft (neighborhood). I also figured while my flat was somewhat tidy I should give you a peek inside. According to my German friend Uli, it is "very East German" whatever that means. Hopefully this weekend - barring the forcasted rain - I will explore the few blocks away that were home to the Berlin Wall. Seriously, how weird is it that I'm living that close to such important history?

Before you watch the montage below - I mean, if you want to, by no means do you have to unless you're my mother and have been begging for pics - please keep in mind that I am not a "real" photographer (for legit pictures, see the blogs of these great ladies Jenni, Kate, Meg, and Katy). Just me and my lil' point and shoot out and about in Berlin!

Genießen!



1 comment:

  1. Happy to hear you're doing well over there, Rachel!! (despite the down day on Tuesday, which I'm sure is quite normal.) It looks so, so beautiful... and your apartment is really nice too! Love that bluebonnet pic. Thanks again, you da best. :)

    ReplyDelete