Monday, August 22, 2011

You've Seen One Baroque Palace, You've Seen 'Em All

I am really, hands-down the worst tourist ever. I blame my parents. We all have short attention spans resulting in little to no patience for waiting in lines, especially if it costs money.

But I am making an effort to at least see the things that don't require either, and doing a respectable job of it, if only to have something to share with you. Everything I do, I do it for youuuuuu. That is to say, I hope you appreciate these pictures from my little field trip outside of Berlin to Potsdam, which is home to a few palaces that used to be some Prussian Kings' "summer homes."

It is more or less Berlin's version of Versailles, and since I've toured that before, I figured wandering around the gardens and spending 10 minutes inside the Painting Gallery were adequate uses of my time (and euros). Later in the day when I Skyped with my family, no one was remotely surprised about my choices, which I found sweet. Gotta keep family traditions alive somehow even when we're so far apart. (Don't judge my family traditions and I won't judge yours :)

So here you go, Sanssouci Park:




Mustard yellow is the color for fall.




Who doesn't love a good windmill?






Mentally photoshop out the tourists.





Gallery room. Small, cheap, and no line. Just like I like it.



Look at this hilarious fat, naked baby wearing Tevas. So much attitude.
Exactly what I want my kid to be like someday.





And here are some other paintings.  If you've been to my NYC apartment, this was sort of the look I was going for.




If only the King of Prussia could see his summer house now. #rollinginhisgrave 



If only there was a bocce court, then this would really be a great place to throw summer soirees.




My next estate will definitely have a gold-detailed pagoda.




Another palace that was under construction. Hence the awkward cropping.




Hey it's me!




Nothing like some giant event planning trucks to spoil the mood.




Another palace I did not tour. 




I got sort of a Mr. Darcy feeling around these columns. Yes, that's all I have in my life, 'feelings of Mr. Darcy.'
All for now. Can't wait to show the exteriors of some more famous stuff soon!

1 comment:

  1. Those pics are beautiful, and the chubby toddler. Awesome!

    Tabitha
    My-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete