Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fashion's Night Out Domination By Proximity

Farah Angsana Spring 2010
Fashion Week mania has taken over the city.

Last spring I had my first in-person taste when I was fortunate enough to attend a show at Bryant Park. To be honest, I was more impressed with the backstage Mercedes' VIP area I got access to (thanks to my friend Ashley's sweet hook up) than with the designer's clothes, but either way it was a great experience.

Anyway, no show invites this fall but I did take advantage of Fashion's Night Out, the second annual event taking place on the eve of FW where stores stay open late with complimentary cocktails, gorgeous models, and music. The pocket of activity where we ended up - Fifth Avenue by Rockefeller - was sort of like a very stylish block party.

Of the hundred events taking place, the only one I was dead set on attending was of course focused on food. I have my priorities.

{Original picture via Getty}
Hosted by David Chang (Momofuku), Anthony Bourdain (TV's No Reservations), and Jeffrey Steingarten (Vogue food critic, Iron Chef judge), a restaurant overlooking the New York Public Library featured whiskey samplings and hors d'œuvres from Momofuku ssäm bar (one of my favorite restaurants). I was in foodie heaven.

But chatting with Jeffrey Steingarten was nothing compared to what would happen next.

The BFF, our friend Laurel and I left a little before it was over to head to another party. As we walked down the block, who did we run directly into?

Anna Wintour and her entourage. The Devil Wears Prada herself. The belle of the ball.

In the same tone of voice I would almost definitely use if I saw a velociraptor - unwavering terror and excited disbelief - I calmly screeched, "ohmygodohmygod do you see what I'm seeing?"

There she was, in the flesh, in all her tightly-wound bitchy glory. FNO victory and a night to remember. I love those.

P dot S: Only because this blog has sort of transitioned into Guide to Rachel's Personal Eating Shame Confessional, I feel compelled to tell you that on the same night I was two feet away from Anna Wintour, I also ate Popeye's. Red beans and rice > starving yourself to be a model.

1 comment:

  1. That is *amazing*! We were told she'd be at Prada within 45 min of when we were there, but it was getting late and we couldn't stick around! She is totally the gold standard for FNO sightings!

    ReplyDelete