Thursday, March 4, 2010

The End of an Era

Tomorrow is my last day at the job I've had for two years. It's the end of an era.


And I couldn't be more excited.

The short version of a long story is that this job was like my First Love. First job in New York, first job out of school. The honeymoon phase was intoxicating (literally - OMG work happy hours! I love my coworkers!), and then it became familiar, and then it became clear it wasn't what I wanted for myself. It was about a year ago when I realized this job wasn't The One. I've made some great friends who will be my friends no matter where I'm working, and, let's be honest, there are some people I'd be fine never seeing again. I'm talking to you, Jersey. Just kidding!

But breakups are hard. And breakups are really hard if the relationship pays your rent. You don't dump your Sugar Daddy in the midst of a recession.

A mixture of soul-searching and that whole 'highest unemployment rate in for-ev-er' thing created job hunting gridlock. A long time ago, I complained about how the similarities between interviewing and dating were making me crazy. The initial excitement, the patience, the built-up hopes, the longing, the agony, the defeat. I'll be honest, it sucked. The good news is I got tons o' good interview experience. For a small fee (or snack), I will share some lessons.

The thing is, though, I'm not unique with my QLC. There's a great article here that will make you feel better (or maybe worse) about our generation's struggles. When I started my What the F to Do With My Life journey, I wanted something totally different. Or maybe I did? I thought about it? Who knows what exactly I wanted, but I just needed a change. I didn't necessarily know what would make me happy, and I spent a long time trying on different job ideas that could possibly shift me back to Not Wanting to Kill Myself. My family, friends and J were more tolerant, helpful and supportive than I deserved, and for that, I'm so appreciative.

What I've ended up choosing is actually a job that is somewhat similar to what I do now, but with a different focus that I think will better suit me. And I'm honestly really excited. It also helps me feel like I didn't waste the past two years of my life filling my brain with healthcare-related mumbo jumbo.

I started the year with positive thoughts, and everything has worked out better than I could have imagined.

For that, I am blessed and grateful.


I'm ready for the next chapter in my life.


Hopefully a chapter that does not involve The BFF taking pictures of me posing like a rodent.

No comments:

Post a Comment