Sunday, March 21, 2010

Meet the Friends

Two of my close friends have new lovers. Bwahaha. That word is so creepy. Anyway, part of my trip home included a little BF reconnaissance work because Facebook stalking only goes so far.

First on the approval list was meeting one of my closest college friends Keaton's new man in her life. She has dated a string of guys who have not deserved her, to put it mildly. One of whom I set her up with in college, and for that, sorry, girl. This new guy - based on the stories I’d heard - seemed to be the exact opposite.

Austin, the chic metropolitan that it is, had jumped on board with the Restaurant Week scene, which happened to coincide with my trip. Keaton and I began talking about a fun place try, and after scouring menus and much back-and-forth, we had it narrowed down to three choices. Since she was also coordinating with Jerry, she decided to cut herself out as the middle man and streamline the process. Streamline is such a gross, corporate word, sorry.

She set us up in a gchat chat room. Did you know this was possible? Because I didn’t. Blew my mind! I love technology! I love chat rooms?! I’m so weird! Of course I had to start my friendship with Jerry with my fav chat room ice breaker: “a/s/l”.

After he accepted my totally awkward full-court press new friend strategy, we made a group decision to go to Perla’s, a new seafood place that had a fantastic menu. And, unbeknownst to me at the time, a super nautical and preppy décor. Few things I love more than nautical preppyness.

I’ll be honest, Jerry totally surpassed my already-high expectations. Not to get super cheesy, but it really brings you joy to see your friends happy and treated well, ya know? She deserves nothing less.

After really getting into the third-wheel date zone, I headed to Houston to meet another friend’s new boyfriend. Lauren actually wrote a guest post about a match.mom success about this BF so clearly I needed to meet him in person. He too surpassed my expectations.

A year ago exactly, Keaton, Lauren and I were on The World's Greatest Vacation together in Hawaii. However, we were all experiencing less than amazing dating scenarios at the time, and to think how much has changed since then really makes you realize you never know what the future has in store.



These sorts of self-indulgent photo-op tendancies have not changed in the past year, though...and it's doubtful they will in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment