Monday, March 15, 2010

Our Nation's Capital: Full of Cute Girls & Good Food

I had an amazing time in D.C. – the first stop on my whirlwind Rachel’s World Tour (yes that is the name of my mom’s Facebook album dedicated to it).

My hostess with the mostess Mere – a former college roommate – was awesome per usual. Minus the fact she felt compelled to stock her fridge full of delicious treats for me. Although she was trying to be healthy, there really is nothing too dietetic about using turkey pepperonis as chip substitutes for an entire container of humus at 1 a.m.

Not only did she feed me incredibly well (she took me to one of the best brunch spots I’ve EVER been – Tabard Inn for those of you visiting D.C. any time soon), but she also arranged for us to borrow her boss’ adorable French bulldog Lola to take on a walk around the Capitol.

Now that’s friendship.


Don’t Lola and I make a cute couple? That play date has further fueled my “I NEED A DOG” fire.

While I was in our nation’s capital, I was also reminded of something: The farther south you go, the higher the concentration of pretty girls. Not that I’m saying there aren’t cute girls up north, but being in D.C. – at a Pat Green, King of Texas country, concert no less – it was overwhelming. And a good incentive to stay in New York. Just kidding, but seriously, sort of.

To prove this theory, Texas is even more chock full of pretty girls than D.C. My high school was not only notorious for high school football domination and daddy’s money snobbery, but also for our extremely high percentage of attractive ladies. Then I moved on to the University of Texas – the sorority scene no less – which was practically a beauty pageant. No, that doesn't hurt your self-esteem at all...

There’s just something about girls who pride themselves with being put together, wearing make-up and doing their hair - something lots of Yankees don’t seem to understand or make a high priority. So when you find other cute girls in New York, it’s important to befriend them immediately (if for nothing else than to have a few good wingwomen or FoF’s to set up with guys you know). Hence why Elle and I have become good friends!

And, since I love matchmaking, I set up Mere with Em (Elle's DC DYFU counterpart), and they’ve become buddies! So fun to all hang out together, although they were witnesses to me ordering the Kill It Skillet at brunch before I headed to the airport. Because before a long day of traveling, you obviously should consume a bowl of macaroni and cheese topped with bacon, chorizo, truffled shoe string potatoes, AND a fried egg. Childhood obesity is a real thing. Although I was reminded by a sweet younger friend that when I turn 25 in August, I will be in my late 20s. Fml.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. And, Mere, your apartment smells fantastic! (Mere loves nice-smelling things, and when we lived together, she would always light UNATTENDED candles at our parties, and I would always run around blowing them out. And then she would run around screaming at me. Awww memories).

1 comment:

  1. I think this is my favorite blog post ever. And I'm really impressed with my blackberry camera skills.

    Lola says hello and COME BACK!!!!

    ReplyDelete