Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Match.Dad Update

My mom (the woman who coined herself Match dot Mom) has been trying to fix me up with cute guys since the beginning of time. And then one day - which I wrote about here - my dad mentioned that he had someone to fix me up with, and I thought that maybe hell had frozen over.

Anyway, on my trip home I finally met the guy. Having not been to my dad’s work in a long time (he’s a research engineer, footsteps in which both of my brothers are following whereas I still think it was a miracle I managed to pass the Physics AP in high school), I stopped by one afternoon while I was in Austin to see what all he’s been working on. If you’ve met my dad, you know he’s brilliant, so he was sharing all these projects – descriptions and words my little communications-jargon-filled brain tried to make sense of – when a cute guy walked into where we were. When we had first gotten there, my mom had, of course, inquired whether or not The Grad Student was there, and my dad had lamented he hadn’t seen him that day.

So when this guy walked in, I didn’t really put it together that this was him, but I should have known since my mom asked him 100 questions. He was nice and cute, but the factors that a) He’s even older than MOJB (who I’m quite fond of), B) A grad student considering even more schooling, and c) Lives 1,000 miles from my current place of resident makes this potential set-up a non-issue.

However, that didn’t mean we didn’t need to have a little post-meeting discussion when my dad got home from work. Apparently The Grad Student had told him he thought I was pretty. (Which meant nothing since the previous night my brother had told us an older woman – the wife of a guy footing his engineering research project – had told him he was “F*cking gorgeous” – so any description less than that now is considered ugly IMO because I’m a competitive sibling).

After a brief interrogation, my mom and I came to find out that my dad had mentioned me to him prior to our introduction! How Match Dot Mom of you, Dad!

Even more hilarious than my father playing Yenta, he went on to lament that The Grad Student had left on his hat and “dorky” safety goggles instead of showing off his “nice head of chestnut brown hair.” Other phrases used to describe him included “a goodlookin’, young strapper” and “a gentle giant.”

Errrr? Since when did my dad turned into Danielle Steele? Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment