Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Bachelorette of Job Hunting

I've spent the past 10 days lunching. Using lunch as a verb is super obnoxious, I know, but this entire post is kind of obnoxious anyways. Wah wah, tomorrow is the first day of my new job, the end of my Stay at Home Person lifestyle. Although, the lifestyle was mostly great because I knew I had a paycheck eventually coming my way. General unemployment would have been less glamorous and awesome (I tell myself).

I've had an awesome week and a half of relaxation. Well, not that much actual relaxing since I was traveling the world seeing approximately one million people - it's fairly exhausting to be nice for so many days in a row considering IAAB!

So since tomorrow is my first day, today feels like the last day of summer vacation before starting a new school. A little anxious, a little exciting, a little dread.

The truth is, though, I'm starting to get a little antsy for a routine. I need structure. Otherwise I might turn into this woman. And I'm legit excited for this new job - especially working at a smaller company - and the fact I'm doing sort of similar work just with a different twist that I hope will be more rewarding.

And the thing is, this job offer came at a time when I'd basically given up hope. J, my job coach, kept promising that SOMETHING would eventually work out. I just had to keep trying. And he was obviously right because he's right about everything. Sometimes.

Anyway, with most things in my life, the minute I'd been offered this job, other opportunities began pouring in. Well, pouring in relation to this job market.

After months of rejection and being burned by a job I was basically promised a few weeks ago - the Final Rose Ceremony of job interviews if you will - I felt like I was finally chosen to be the center of attention on a reality dating show after being one of those girls, the ones haplessly chasing and vying for attention from The Bachelor.

So there I was, with multiple opportunities to choose from. Although they each had their individual pluses, after some deep consideration, I went with this job, deciding it was The One.

And then, while I was in Austin this time last week, I got an email from the recruiter - the Chris Harrison of this analogy - letting me know that the job that left me standing at the alter wanted me to come in to interview for a different position. You see, me not getting that initial job was sort of a weird situation that involved company politics that went beyond me. But even without my current job agreement, I don't know if I could have pulled a Molly and taken the company back after they'd broken my heart and chose someone over me.

That's not how I do business. Or relationships.

Anyway, I'm excited for my decision. And since there won't be any made-for-TV reality wedding celebrating my choice, hopefully things will end better than they do for every couple resulting from those shows.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment