Friday, September 4, 2009

The Time Has Come to Bid Adieu to My Summer Love

Ask anyone in the city and they’ll tell you to NOT get a boyfriend during the warm weather. No, it’s the time when you’re supposed to be out enjoying the world – aka looking cute in your skimpy summer clothes, meeting hot guys in the Hamptons, and ultimately shacking up with a few randoms. That was my summer last year. Luckily I’ve matured. Or something (like the fact I didn’t have a Hamptons share). Whatever.

So, instead I made the most of my summer in the city, rejected others’ advice, and embraced love.



But now summer is over - he’s leaving me. And I am devastated.

I thought I wanted a boyfriend, but all along I think maybe I’ve just been in need of a gay (French) best friend.

We met at work. Yes I know, normally work relationships are a BAD idea. And he’s a foreigner! But apparently doing the opposite of what you would do to find a hetero-relationship is the best game plan. Then you get someone to entertain you during the day plus, since he is Parisian and snobby, he has nice taste and is always telling me about great restaurants, shops, venues, etc.

His daily presence in the office has been like bright sunshine (if bright sunshine referred to me as “sumo”). He is snarky and chic. He is the perfect GBF. Ah I’m already tearing up.

I will miss his French accented “Hellllllllllllllloooooooo” each morning; his quiet whispers that he hates his life because he’s tired/hungry/too busy; his serious requests for 500 euro so he can buy a new bag or Tods sneakers; his love of nice restaurants and New York-y activities, especially Central Park and rooftop parties. When asked how his previous night’s activity was? His reply is almost always, “Oh it was just perrrrfect.”

I will miss his insistence on Facebook stalking my upcoming dates – well I guess I still have my mom for that.

I will NOT miss him asking me grammatical questions. Yes I understand English is my first (and really only) language, but I don’t know everything.

I will miss being sent the link to great new music, like this little gem: and random, crazy French videos.

I will miss him going to the classes at the gym with me – particularly Beach Body Bootcamp, or Body Beach as he calls it. I will miss us laughing at each other in the mirror when he can’t keep up with the coordinated routines. And of course, I will miss his monogrammed, flamboyantly colored Nikes.

I’m DEVASTATED.

I will miss you, Matthieu. Come back soon and I’ll marry you for your Green Card. We can check out hot guys together, go shopping and eat delicious meals. It will be just perfect.

Parting is such sweet sorrow. Au revoir, fatty, think of me when you eat croissants and cookies!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment