Friday, September 25, 2009

Match...Dad?

A few months ago I called home to catch up with the ‘rents and, since my mom was out of the house, I had a nice little chat with my father, which included this gem:

Dad:
So there’s this really handsome grad student interning at work. (My dad is an engineer).

Me: Uh?

Dad: Yeah he’s really tall, really good looking.

Me: Mom, is that you?

Dad: Yeah he might be a little old for you (he’s 33, so not in NY standards) but he sure is good looking.

Me: Seriously, what?

This coming from the man who has berated my mother for YEARS for meddling/trying to fix me up with any and every guy in the world. And also the guy, who after a few glasses of wine, told my best friends and their parents at our joint college graduation party that he just didn’t understand “why all women aren’t lesbians because women are just so beautiful.” So yeah, it was weird.

Obv when I went home to Austin, I had to follow up and see if I could get a glimpse of this man who had taken my father’s breath away.

My father, who clearly is spending way too much time with my mother, told me that I could come visit him at work, and he would point out said “really handsome” guy and then I could decide whether or not I wanted an introduction. Elaborate stakeouts had always been Mom’s domain, I thought. What is happening to the world?

Sadly, though, my potential future husband wasn’t working that week! Plan foiled! Match.Dad sadly would have to wait…

Talking to my parents recently, though, I did hear that my FH is back in the office, and my mom said she will go “check him out” for me. As her stalking techniques are getting quite technologically advanced, I told her she should pretend to text message while secretly taking a picture.

There is a 100% chance of hilarious failure with this plan. I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment