Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Friend-of-a-Friend (FofF)

I’ve always been a fan of the mutual friend connection (mutual acquaintance will do). Just that initial, baseline screening process can be helpful. Sort of like the referral or reference letter required for job/apartment applications. At least one person in the world will vouch that he’s not a total sociopath.

Yeah, things could eventually become awkward if you were to date long-term and break up, but I’ve come to learn that a drunken makeout or two all the way up to a few dates doesn’t really do much harm.

And I should know. I’ve worked my way through (that is not meant to sound so slutty) approximately a dozen FoFs since moving here. Every eligible bachelor - from the coworker’s boyfriend’s roommate to the roommate’s boyfriend’s coworker – has been met, assessed, and, for whatever of the million reasons, dismissed as potential boyfriend material. My supply dried up. Or so I thought.

Then, in response to last week’s post about Time Out New York’s list of 52 eligible bachelors, my work BFF Ash commented that #42 was in fact her bf’s frat brother (in addition to pointing out that Yorkville is on the UES – wahoo - I live right by the 6).

So I will be willing to get over my ageism seeing as how he told Ashley via FB chat at work the other day that he would be interested in grabbing drinks. She had been interrogating (read: making fun of him) about the responses he received (lots o’ crazies/phonies, 2 normals) when she mentioned my potential interest. And from the looks of the pictures she selectively chose to copy and paste from FB into an email, he looks pretty smokin’, more so than that TONY pic - (And don’t judge, you know you do it too – FB pictures provide a fantastic vetting service).

So we will see. But no matter what, I’m glad there are still a few FoFs left in the city. Especially those who, at some point in the past six months or so, looked pretty good shirtless.

No comments:

Post a Comment