Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Family Field Trip

For as far back as I can remember, my family made a big deal about the Natural Bridge Caverns' billboards that we would pass on our way to visit relatives in San Antonio.

It started over two decades ago with my older cousin who thought the dinosaur head extended off the top - and visible from quite a ways away - looked like a snake. So to keep the kids entertained it became a game: whoever could shout out "snaaaaake" first got a point. Sadly they redesigned those billboards a few years back, but occasionally they still get brought up in family stories. Along with the fact we've never actually been to see the caves.

Since I've been in a life regression for the past month while staying at home, I suggested that my mom and I go on an old-fashioned field trip to finally see what it's all about. It just so happened that both of my brothers were on breaks from school, and my dad even decided to forgo his daily bike ride to join in too.

Let me tell you, nature is beautiful. Stalagmites, stalactites, all pret-ty cool. So was climbing a dinosaur. Also, I am seven.

Okay fine, there was a ladder in back that I climbed up. I am not super woman.
The "natural bridge" for which the caves are named. 
The stuff George Lucas' dreams are made of.


This brother is getting his degree in biology so it's
totally normal for him to be fake eating a giant cricket.
Unfortunately Charlie's wife wasn't able to come so this can't be our Christmas card picture
(also I am wearing Nike running shorts in public and am not nearly as ashamed as I should be)

Has anyone else ever been spelunking? Does anyone want to go? THERE ARE PLENTY MORE TO EXPLORE! Maybe I'll have my (8-year-old) birthday party at one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment