Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Taste of Nostalgia

When I got my driver's license sophomore year of high school, the ultimate destination was always Magnolia Cafe ("Mags" to those in the know). Although it was only across a bridge from our little bubble of suburbia, the 24-hour "Sorry, We're Open" diner always felt like we were entering a different world. It embodied the spirit of Keep Austin Weird with its eclectic artwork, hipster-before-hipsters-even-existed servers, and mix-and-match wrapping-paper-topped tables.

The BFF, Shawn and I would go there whenever we needed something to do. It was as perfect of a late-night destination as it was for breakfast, plus situated right next to Town Lake made it possible to stop in for lunch after a gossip-filled walk.

Oh the memories of that place. I'm pretty sure every guy I ever dated in Austin took me there at least once, and I'm equally certain I dissected each relationship's demise over a basket of chips there too. Shawn on-and-off dated a guy who worked there, adding another layer to the history. Oh, and who could forget "the incident" when The BFF was unceremoniously dumped at the parking lot picnic tables (by the same idiot who dumped her outside our dorm). No one, that's who, because for years during college she refused to go back. And now, whenever we all happen to be in town at the same time, you can usually count on us having a reunion meal or two.


The point is, that place holds a million memories for all of us. Whenever I go there, it's like a time machine. A pancake time machine. (In no other restaurant does it ever occur to me to order pancakes. In the triumvirate ranking of carb-based breakfast food, for me it will always be: 1) Waffles, 2) French toast, 3) boring ol' pancakes.)

But you see, if you're looking for the best pancakes in Austin, Mags is your place. A lot of people like to talk about Kerby Lane, but no sir, they are wrong. These fill-the-plate pieces of heaven - either standard Buttermilk, Gingerbread, Cornmeal or Whole-wheat - will please you, especially with some bananas thrown in for good measure.

The other staple? Mag Mud. A glorious, heaven-sent concoction of queso (aka melted cheese for you non-Texans), guacamole, and black beans that is so popular it apparently even has its own Facebook page. My mouth is watering just writing about it. (If my computer breaks due to drool, that will be awkward to explain to the Geek Squad.)

Anyway, this is just a long way of saying: Does anyone want to go to Mags later? As my high school regression is in full force, I could seriously use an outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment