Thursday, May 3, 2012

Cali Part I: Coronado Island & Desert Driving (AKA The Day I Was A Bitch)


It is no secret that I suck at traveling. It is no secret I PMS like a crazy person. It is no secret that I was stressed about having Spiros come stay at my house and meet my family.

So it should be no real shock that the combination of all three left me a wee bit cranky the day we left Austin and headed to California. Luckily Spiros is still under the spell of "anything you do is cute" (insert eye roll here), and he was incredibly sweet even when I might not have deserved it. 

We flew into San Diego where we rented a car and drove to Coronado Island for lunch. It turned out to be a really important step in our relationship: Spiros tried my favorite condiment - cocktail sauce - for the first time. Forget about the cultural differences, the distance, etc., love of cocktail sauce is a non-negotiable. Luckily he is equally obsessed, and now I can see a real future for us. I mean, how would we raise our children otherwise?!?!

 
 


After we got back in the car, we decided to put the top down, only to determine my seat was broken. In hindsight we should have realized it was due to the fact we had rotated around the luggage causing one of the suitcases to push on it, but at the time we were still close enough to the rental car place we figured we might as well take it back. 

Best decision ever. Although the Volvo was fine, it really wasn't as sporty as what we'd both pictured for our awesome California roadtrip. Luckily they had a bright yellow Camaro available. And even luckier, they didn't make us exchange back once we took out the suitcase and the seat started to work again. My bad.

Considering I was traveling in a mustard colored maxi dress that day, I'm going to chalk it up to fate.  

 
 
 
After leaving San Diego in our new sweet ride, we made our way out east through the desert to the land of Coachella. Minus the fact that the winding roads kept making me "Dolo" (which is what Spiros dubbed the action of gripping on tightly while holding back the urge to scream in terror in honor of my grandmother who is a total scaredy cat), it was a beautiful drive. 

     
Finally we made to to Palm Desert, which is a half hour from Palm Springs, and also the place where we had the worst meal of the entire trip. Why I ever let myself get talked into lobster salad in the middle of the desert I will never know. We all make mistakes. These are just the ones that haunt me.


Festival recap tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment