Monday, May 7, 2012

Cali Part III: Road Trippin' To Santa Barbara

After Coachella, we said goodbye to the desert and headed back toward the coast.

  
 
 

Yes those are dinosaurs. No, we (sadly) didn't stop and figure out what they are doing there. It was around the time we went from heat exhaustion to smoggy cloud cover within a matter of minutes. So long convertible top. If we'd had more days, we would have stopped in LA, but alas there was just not time. After we finally made our way out of the traffic, we stopped for lunch on the outskirts of Malibu. More fried seafood, more cocktail sauce, and finally some ocean views, including - wait for it - dolphins and WHALES! The fourth-grade-future-marine-biologist version of me was literally unable to contain her excitement.

 

From there we continued our way up the Pacific Coast Highway toward Santa Barbara. I'd always heard good things (e.g. Rob Lowe and his family choose to live there instead of LA) so I was excited to spend the night there. Luckily we arrived early enough in the afternoon to be able to walk around Stearns Wharf where we saw sea lions playing and bright orange and purple starfish the size of your face clinging to the sides of the pier! Unfortunately the weather was cool and rainy, but the low hanging clouds looked like they were "kissing the moutains" according to sweet Spiros who has quite a way with words (and consoling me when the weather wasn't cooperating). The main street of Santa Barbara was so darn cute (I failed to capture it) as was the Hotel Oceana where we stayed. (Except I suggested we watched Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and killed the mood. As in "don't ever touch me again, I hate you and all men." I've read the books, I have no idea what I was thinking.) But the C.O. Bigelow products I took with me might have made up for it. Seriously, good hotel bath products can go along way, amiright?
   

  
 
  
 

From there we continued our adventure up the coast...next stop: Monterey! 


No comments:

Post a Comment