Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cali Part V: San Fran

Unlike the other days of our road trip, there are no pictures of us driving from Monterey to San Francisco. This is because:

1) It was cloudy and overcast, not to mention we were on less-than-scenic, land-locked highways.
2) I insisted on painting my nails in the car during the journey.
3) I was too busy crying because my fledgling navigational skills had finally failed us and we ended up backtracking for like 30 minutes (my least favorite thing ever). Also I was a PMS hot mess. It was really special. Spiros surely enjoyed seeing this side of me. "Babe, it's fine!" "Nooooo, sniffle sniffle sniffle, I've ruined the trip!!!!" Good times!

Luckily I pulled myself together by the time we rolled into the city, and even better than my tears drying up, the forecasted rain also held off for the afternoon. We took advantage of the clear skies and walked from our (amazing) hotel on Fisherman's Wharf toward the Golden Gate Bridge. Much like my eyes at an all you can eat buffet, my legs were all "Sure, no problem, we can definitely walk seven miles round trip to get there! So glad to be freed from the car!" We made it about two miles to a cute little park with a great cafe for lunch where - dun dun DUN - we had another run in with seagulls. Seriously they can smell fear! We decided to turn around and head back to the wharf to explore some more before dinner.

As we were walking back, Spiros asked if any of my favorite TV shows were set in San Francisco. I explained how, since we'd arrived, the theme from Full House had been playing on an endless loop in my mind.



(Note to self: Make Spiros watch Full House so he understands an important piece of my child hood. And also why my friend Meredith calls him John Stamos aka Jesse Katsopolis. Spoiler alert: It's because he's Greek.)


 
Anywhere, where was I? Oh right, we had fun walking along the wharf, soaking up all the nautical goodness, when we stumbled upon a boat cruise about to set sail. We decided this would be a better way to get up close and personal with the Golden Gate Bridge as well as see Alcatraz. It was also a good opportunity to be surrounded by people who put my solo-shot taking to shame. I will let you guess what nationality they were...


 
 

Unfortunately toward the end of the boat cruise I went from zero to sixty in terms of feeling terrible. The  cold I had been battling off and on the entire trip had finally taken hold. I stocked up on medicine and tissues and we headed back to the hotel in defeat. While I felt bad that we weren't going to be able to do anymore site seeing, the saving grace was that we were staying in the greatest hotel in the history of hotels (if you are obsessed with with nautical things, that is). The Argonaut Hotel has every last detail dedicated to the sea and I'd be lying to say I didn't enjoy spending the entire evening hanging out in that hotel room. (The bathroom had octopus tentacle wall paper!!! Who else is weird enough to choose that?? Where can I get some?!?)



All in all it was a perfect trip (although if it'd been possible to add another day in to break up the driving, I would recommend it). If you ever get the opportunity to drive up the Pacific Coast Highway - do it! Or if you've ever wanted to do it - do it! And then afterward we can talk about how cool all the sea animals (not birds) were, okay?  

Thanks, babe, for such a wonderful memory!! Can't wait for our next adventure(s)!

No comments:

Post a Comment