Friday, May 4, 2012

Cali Part II: Coachella (& Some Thoughts On Rap)

One thing Spiros and I bonded over early on was our mutual love of old school hip hop. Um what? Yeah, I don't know either. While I'm definitely the whitest white girl on the planet, much to the dismay of my parents, I love me some rap and I always have. (In full disclosure I can almost never decipher any lyrics and typically listen to it on the radio when it's all bleeped out.)

So while there were plenty of good "bands" on the Coachella lineup (bands is used loosely since I swear half of it was DJs playing the same songs over and over again), we were both most excited to see Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre live. Plus yada yada the Tupac hologram yada yada. (That is the problem with a back-to-back weekend music festival, snooze old news. My impression? It was weird they talked to him like he was alive.)

Anyway, D O double G reminded us that he and D R izzle have been performing together for 20 years. Which after watching the VH1 documentary Snoop produced about gangs/drugs/prison/murder within rap, it is pretty uh-mah-zing that they are still alive/haven't killed each other/been turned into holograms.

What are we doing watching shows like these, you might ask. Well the heat we missed in Austin was cruel to us the first day in the desert so we spent the majority of the following two afternoons holed up in our room drinking beer, eating pre-peeled boiled shrimp, Cool Ranch Doritos, and boat loads of cocktail sauce (!!!) before we went to the evening shows. Otherwise known as "experiencing the finest America has to offer."

Another very educational show we watched was a VH1 countdown about Yo! MTV Raps, a show from the 90's I was too young for but that Spiros watched growing up in Greece (random). Apparently unbeknownst to me I've been doing the Ed Lover dance all this time and didn't even realize it.


Anyway, my hip hop hopes and dreams came true the night we saw Snoop. Honestly of all the rappers out there, his raspy-voiced jams are my favorite. He even brought out a few other high rolling stars like Eminem and 50 Cent. I'll be honest, Eminem has started to grate on my nerves during the past few years, and Fitty has, well, let him self go more than I'd prefer. I mean, sure he still has an eight pack or whatever, but there was just a tiny bit more of him to love. Not to sound like a bitch, but I like my hot black men with zero percent body fat, is that too much to ask? 

In terms of the rest of the festival, the Black Keys put on a good show, I loved the Girl Talk set, and Feist had on the most distractingly adorable J.Crew-esque outfit imaginable (blue/white silk tank with sparkly burnt orange skirt - I want!). 


And the rest of the time was spent migrating from one set of VIP toilets to the next. Good times, some of them had sinks! Here are a few pics, including my ridiculous outfit shots.  

     
    
         
   
   
 
 
 
    

If I'm being truthful, as much fun as Coachella was, the actual highlight was finding those cat-eyed Lafayette Elizabeth & James sunglasses on the ground. Basically I made a profit on our free tickets. Domination

No comments:

Post a Comment