Monday, May 14, 2012

Oh The Places You'll Go ... Out To Eat

Normally when I'm in Austin, I take on the role of Recluse Rachel. Sure I might make it to Town Lake to walk with a friend, or possibly a stop at one of my staple Tex-Mex places (Matt's El Ranch, Chuy's, Trudy's), but unfortunately I'm typically pretty been bad about getting outside of my comfort zone. (Or my pajama pants, if I'm being totally honest.)

While I still haven't made it to Top Chef winner Paul Qui's hot $pot Uchiko yet ($omeday!), last week I tried four new places in three days. Which is literally a record for me.

On Monday I reconnected with an old high school pal at Zocalo Cafe. Cute, bright place with a fun twist on Mexican food.

Tuesday brought me and beautiful blogger Jenni together at Hopdoddy Burger Bar on South Congress. The shroom/goat cheese/pesto burger is the new love of my life.

Then on Wednesday I went on not one but two great food outings. For lunch I tagged along with my mama and a wonderful family friend (hi!) to Mother's Cafe, a vegetarian restaurant in Hyde Park that's been open longer than I've been alive, but somehow I've never been.

Then later I reconnected with another friend, this time a former college sublet roommie, at Elizabeth Street Cafe, an adorable Vietnamese place on 1st street. I was craving a bahn mi sandwich, and while the choice I ordered was definitely not my favorite, the ambiance was. Definitely need to go back!

Any Austinites have any other favorite places I need to check out while I'm still in town? Perhaps somewhere muy casual so I can go in my "uniform"...by "uniform" I mean workout clothes. (As my mother and grandmother so sweetly agreed this weekend, I am really the Benjamin Button of regression. And that's totally cool with me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment