Monday, May 21, 2012

To Grandmother's House We Go

My mom and I spent the weekend visiting Dolo in Houston. Ever since I was a little girl, trips like these have always included two important ingredients:

1) Going out to eat
and
2) Going to the movies.

This time around, we double-dipped in both regards. Lunch on Friday at the Americas followed by Bernie, a hilarious movie based on a totally real event that happened in the small, East Texas town of Carthage where Meredith's boyfriend (and Liza's dog daddy) is from. We - including cinematic snob Dolo - highly recommend it. The actual townspeople steal the show from Jack Black and my pal Matthew McConaughey.

Saturday we hit it old school at Houston's (old school meaning Dolo and I used to go there all the time but haven't been in years; grilled chicken salad 4 life) with my aunt and two cousins followed by a sweet little family outing to see The Dictator. Because if there isn't some awkward male nudity and uncomfortable sexual jokes it isn't a weekend with my precious grandmother. Too bad Spiros wasn't here for this one.

One of these things isn't like the other. (Hint: I'm referring to my brown hair.)

The highlight of the weekend, though, was watching Mama Mia at home over a delicious bowl of tortilla soup. We chose it from her random assortment of movies - including the masterpiece Bethoven's 2nd on VHS - since it's set in Greece and I've never seen it. Not only did we appreciate Dolo's foray into "cooking a meal at home like a real grandmother," but her movie commentary really set the bar for the evening...

Dolo: "I have to warn you, Pierce Brosnon is the worst singer. Every time he starts a song he looks like he's about to go to the bathroom. But he's not as bad as Meryl Streep. I think she made them let her be in this movie. Do you think Meryl Streep just thinks she's the best singer? Like she sits around around watching this movie thinking, "I'm Meryl Streep and I'm soooo good at singing."

Forget J.Lo, they should make Dolo the next American Idol judge. She clearly knows talent (or lack thereof) when she sees it!

No comments:

Post a Comment