Friday, March 9, 2012

When It's Just Too Much Work

Before I left New York, I had a conversation with my friend Elle (who I miss a ton!) about the new man in her life, and how it was just so easy. Unlike her last boy, who she always felt expected her to be "on" all the time, now she was with a guy who brought out the sweetness in her. Sometimes it's just nice to be nice, ya know?

And many times when you're dating a guy with whom your favorite activity is batting it back and forth, that can be a hard transition to make. Like, sure, I can love playing tennis with someone, but that doesn't mean I want to snuggle on the couch, talking to them in a Khloe Kardashian Odom Baby Talk Voice (TM).

You see, it’s all fun and games when you first start dating. If I’m only seeing a guy once a week, obviously he’s going to get the best version of me. If good banter is what we have, then great banter is what I’ll bring. But that can only last so long. I mean, it’s not like my ability to make clever comebacks disappears, but eventually they will be toned down because it is exhausting being that witty. 

Soon you’ll start to realize that when you fall into your typical girlfriend routine, replacing sassiness with sweetness, things begin to feel weird. You notice a distance and think he’s changed, when really, you’re the one who isn’t the same. 

A perfect example of this is my friend Jim. There's a lot of chemistry, but it's the kind of dynamic that was work. We tried, it failed, and now we are friends

Or at least we will be if he ever stops texting me about how in love he is with me. 

Here are a few of my favorite selections:

Trying to get in good with my 'rents, typical.
I really am holding out for that introduction with my soul mate.

1 comment: